+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Pickerel

Default Chain Pickerel

It should be cold enough here in Texas in a couple of months to go after Pickerel. Anyone have any experience with this species?

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Write for [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:d4b4d]Warmwater Angler[/url:d4b4d]

Yep, Gary. I have hung them on foam pushers but I don't see why a crease fly or pencil popper type of fly wouldn't draw some bites on the surface. You might even get a gar. I often see rough fish striking insects and minnows on the surface. Have fun and hang on .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I have been catching them here in Delaware in the mill ponds all summer and fall.Just love the way they hit a popper or streamers.Small bendback streamers on a 4wt or 6wt have been killers.If im not after stripers on a fly im after pickerel.

Gary,

May I suggest a search here on Spinnered Minner Fly...I've also been tying a different version for quite a few years..and you won't regret having a few along...Trout,Pike...well...the list is endless...You'll have a blast!!!...lol

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 26 November 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 27 November 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 28 November 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Gary,

I've picked up a couple of stray pickerel in Upstate South Carolina while fishing for LMB. I've gotten most of mine on white, size #2 gurgle pops. I have to agree with Dixieangler that crease flies would be ideal.

One other point, I remember from my hardware chucking days that pond pickerel in Maryland had a real thing for red and white Daredevil spoons. I would try some red and white combinations in poppers or streamers. Good luck. Remember to avoid a thumb hold on the pickerel's lower jaw. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 23 November 2005).]

Gary, we have several good articles here on FAOL on pickerel. Go to the Keyword Search on the left-hand menu and just type in pickerel. Oh yes, the flies too.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Another thing that I did'nt think of,Is the leader...quite a good one for pike,pickerel,musky...any of the toothy critters...I like to use a section of 12 or so lb mono..tipped with a chunk of Berkley Fireline...one of those new Spectra lines the spinnfishing crowd loves...they are highly abraision resistant and make great shock tippet material..Hold knots well,Doesn't coil like wire,and cuts through the water alot better than heavy mono..the 10 pound test is very addaquite as it's damn tough stuff...don't try useing your good line nippers on this stuff..it'll dull em quick..I carry a small heavy pair of scissors..Just more food for thought..oh and a 125 yd spool won't break the bank and will last years...and years !!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Thanks to everyone for the input and advise. I am putting every bit of it to use.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:5767e]Warmwater Angler[/url:5767e]

I do a lot of pickerel fishing on the acidic runs coming out of the pinebarrens. They are just about the only fish we find in acidic waters. They like any kind of streamer but mostly bright colors, fish them fast to get a strike. I never had any hits on top water dries or poppers. No need to be fussie about tippet just use 10 pound mono and watch your fingers when removing hooks...FB.

Blog Entries

hey Gary

Long Haired Dave, pearow and some others on Texas Fly Report have made some trips to Daingerfield and Caddo and have some info on chain pickerel angling.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:0e33f]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:0e33f]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

+ Reply to Thread