Now, every state, everywhere has it's share of exotics. As of late, I've had many encounters with this one mean, ugly fish. 'Snake-heads'. As far as I understand, these things come from Asia, and are a popular food item. Down here in S. Florida, we have a slight problem with them; One I've noticed grow unspoken..
In any body of water I've caught these 'Snake-heads' in, there has been very few other fish, if any. They seem to drive out other fish populations.
Example:
This morning I went fishing at a canal running parrallel to a highway which happens to border the Everglades. This canal usually boasts a strong host of bass, both spotted and black, tilapia, 'gills, gars, and grass carp. This morning, however, there was a lack of activity out on the water. Juvenile bass and various sun fishes could be seen, and I happened to see a rather HUGE alligator gar, but that was IT.
After varying retrieves and flies for about an hour, I was rewarded a vicious strike at the surface from some large fish. Thinking I had a large bass on, I was extremely pleased. The fish turned out to be a 'Snake-head', roughly 6 pounds as judged by my hand.
I caught several others of the same size, each about 100 yards apart. Now, I claim to be no genious, but this could spell problems in the future for S. Florida.
I apologize for the lengthy post, but I had to get it out..
Anyone else got an 'exotic' story?
I took pictures of one I caught if anyone would like to see.

[This message has been edited by Florida Fly (edited 13 November 2005).]