Hit the pond again that I visit on my way home from work on the 23rd and got in a couple hours water time. The first hour was just a tiny bit slow after the first fish on the first cast was released. It was a 7 inch BG and put up a dandy tug after chomping down on my black bead head spider. Then nothing for quite a spell until I found the right groove-depth and retrieve speed. After a couple more BG's, a 15.5 inch LMB got on board and gave me a little fight. One more BG and as darkness started to fall I thought I'd try topside and see if any fish would take a fly on the surface. What surprise I got! The fly was a small closed cell foam popper in white with black body and white longish rubber legs. The fly was a tad heavy for the just over and 1/8th inch diameter foam cylinder so it did not have much popping action unless yanked smartly. On the third or fourth cast, I get a serious rise, roll, swoosh and swallow. The fly is engulfed and I strip set the hook on something. Not a big splash or loud slurp inhale was heard, I just saw it surface swirl over the fly at 35 feet away and submerge in one instant. OK! I'm thinking FISH ON! it didn't fight very strongly but the weight was there of about a pound or so of fish. To my surprise a good sized Crappie came to hand and was released in good health after a chuckle and a thank you. First time ever for me to catch a Crappie on topwater. I tossed several more times in the same vicinity as the Crappie take but to no avail. Caught one or two more BG's and that was it for the evening.

I went back on Saturday after a fairly harsh cold front came through and fished for two hours in the same pond, same area and brought to hand one twelve inch LMB on a gummy fly minnow pattern and one Crappie on the same fly. Nothing else performed at all. I had missed a few other strikes but those don't count and this session seemed to be an omen about the fishing season.

Could it be the FAT LADY is backstage and warming up her vocal chords? I hope not. Gonna try again today, maybe, as the pond is right near the hay and chicken feed supplier that I use and it would be a shame to drive right past the pond without at least wetting a line.

------------------
I fish, therefore I swam.