+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Western Kentucky

Default Western Kentucky

Hey folks, me and some buddies were planning a fishing trip around Bowling Green, KY this coming weekend. The only places I know of around here are trout holes, so I need to get to know some other places to fish for warm-water species. Thanks for any help!

davealt,

If you have a boat, try Barren River Reservoir between Glasgow and Scottsville; or try Nolin Reservoir northwest of Munfordville. These reservoirs do not lend themselves to shoreline fishing very well. Another lake you may wish to try is Shanty Hollow Lake north of B.G. near Glenmore. Aside from these lakes, you have the Green River and Barren River to consider. Access to these rivers is somewhat of an issue. You may try calling the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources Southeastern Fisheries Biologist, Bonny D. Laflin, (Bonny is a "he" not a "she"!) at (270) 746-7127. Tell Bonny that Gary Jenkins with TVA suggested you call him for some info. Bonny or any of his assistants should be able to help you. Good luck!

Just up the I-65 from Bowling Green are quite a few places! Near Ft. Knox is Otter Creek. Kentucky stocks the creek with trout during winter. During the warmer months, you can catch both large and smallmouth bass, and many species of panfish. The creek also flow into the Ohio River, so you can also get into some catfish if your lucky!

Another great fishery is Taylorsville Lake. The tail water section of the lake is a warm water tailwater, and supports some nice fish in the warmer months.

Also, if you like ponds and small lakes, there are numerous ponds stocked by the state every year in the Louisville area. Fort Knox also has MANY ponds that are stocked and managed. It also has a ton of small ponds that do have some nice fish, but are not managed by the base.

To fish on Ft. Knox, all you have to do is to get a base fishing permit ($10) and check in AND OUT with the Hunt Control office.

Give me a buzz if you are thinking of coming into the area around Louisville and Ft. Knox.

Sincerely,
    Reg

Thanks guys! Will look into your suggestions.

I've decided we're going to take on the Barren River. We don't have a boat. Any info? Can we even fish the Barren River without a boat? Thanks for any help.

davealt;

It may be tough finding an access where you can wade. Again, check with the KDFWR boys for public access areas. Good luck!

Gary

+ Reply to Thread