Lately I've had a spate of enjoyable bluegill fishing being interupted by some greedy Bass smashing my fish and this resulted in me taking the battle to the Bass. After thinking up a bluegill imitation fly, I tied something vaguely resembling a panfish from peacock sword feather tips and some other add ons. So one more time I'm casting spiders to the gills and Mr Monster Bass smashes my 6 inch gill with fervor. Only this time, I'm READY! On the first bluegill caught I quickly get him to hand and release it ten yards down the bank from the Bass attack. Then I switch flies and cast it only to realize that I had yet to add weight to it or even wet it so it's just sitting there like a newly fallen dry leaf on the pond surface not looking very fish at all. I pulled it in and smacked it on the water surface a few times to soak it and cast it again where the attack occured. WHAM! the big bass strikes and spits the fly. ZING! goes my adrenaline levels at this point and I hurriedly cast again and pay more attention to the fly action which is just below the surface and looking good. I give it some herky-jerky strip and it darts and wobbles and then pause. The fly is made of two right side feathers so it is screwing and twisting in the water which puts a twist in the leader and tippet. I see the extra bonus results when I pause the fly because it is unwinding like a rubber band wound propellor though quite slowly and hopefully seductively to the bass. Sure enough ....WHAM! ... FISH ON!...I've got a fight on my hands how and the line on the bank at my feet quickly zips through my finger and the fish is on the reel. What a bulldog on my line! It only lasted another minute or so and VOILA! my new personal best Largemouth Bass and one big smile. The peacock Bluegill imitator fly is a resounding success. Now I just wonder how long before I turn in my notice to my employer as I've created fly that will make me rich........hmmm.....probably better not quit the day job just yet. lol! Guess I just needed to share some newbie enthusiasm. Now you can see my old and first cheapie fly rig, too. The twice snapped (now thrice and retired) and repaired SA 5 wt with matching graphite SA reel.
I'm happy......he's not!

Me and Mr. Bucketmouth

In my excitement I completely forgot to weigh or even measure the beast before the release......oh well, I know where he lives and we may meet again.

The release.....

......and the fly....I call it the Bluegill Imitator....

------------------
I fish, therefore I swam.