A buddy and I drove 5 hours thursday night to a Sierra mountain lake to fish for trophy size trout (personally landed an 8 pounder there last year). Well Friday it was 43 degrees, raining, and blowing stink. I landed one 17 inch rainbow and he got skunked. Saturday no rain, blowing stink, and 43 degrees. He landed one, I got skunked. Fished a river on the way home in the evening, skunked. Got home at midnight.
Sunday was a beautiful day at home, in the 70's and sunny. My wife took the kids to a birthday party so I headed out to the pond for some tee shirt and shorts fishing for a couple hours. At first I tried some new fly patterns my 6 year old made up, then switched to my standards.The only gills I could find, and I tried my favorite spots, were under an oak tree but they couldn't get their little lips around my gurgler enough to get hooked. I managed to catch one largemouth that hammered the gurgler under the overhanging branch of another oak.
It was nice to get out in the boat in the sunshine. Should have just stayed home, but that's fishing.