+ Reply to Thread

Thread: With winter coming . . .

Default With winter coming . . .

how are you planning on spending it? What flies are you tying? For what species? Are you spinning a new rod? If so, what weight and why? It's now time to get my three weight done, as well as the rod for my wife, a replacement five weight. Both Hook and Hackle specials! Also will be building a couple spinning rods for a river-group silent auction. For flies, my goal for the winter is to master some new foam flies and to tie a zoo couger. Got one in a swap but was too cool to use. And, after all these swaps I've got to find a way of organizing a whole bunch of flies. A whole bunch. Why am I so addicted to swaps? That's another post. JGW

The Zoo Cougar is in the Fly of the Week archives..Kelly tied it for us when we visited his old shop in Michigan, so the step-by-step instructions are his. From the man himself.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

ill be tying, and fishing, midges all the time. got a river that "never sleeps" about 5 minutes from my house, so i can fish for trout year round.

plus, i just picked up a couple of very old, very, very abused abused cane rods im gonna tackle through the winter. never worked with cane before, but i couldnt pass up the free price tag to get my toes wet in the game.

i also have a 7' spinning rod im gonna build for the old lady that gave me all the cane.

then ive got my eyes set on a couple more graphite rods, a 4wt, 3wt, and a 5wt, and, hopefully, another good cane blank coming soon, 9' 3/2 #5wt.

should be a good winter...

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

If I survive what will hopefully be the last landfall blowicane of this blowicane season, I'll be fishing. Winter is the height of the Florida fishing season for me. While I can fish year round, the heat of Summer time is when our fishing season for all intents and purposes is over (or when the fish bite is the poorest), at least for me anyway.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I'll mostly be working on some rods. I have a Forecast 6.5ft 2wt that I need to finish wrapping and a Cabelas Fish Eagle Traditional 4pc 6wt blank on the way. I also have a 5ft Forecast UL spin blank that needs to be wrapped (handle has been on the blank now for 2 years), as well as a Shimano 6.5ft 8-16lb spinning blank that I stripped to re-wrap.

I just finished retrofitting a blank extension (cut through the blank while removing a graphite spin seat) on a 1pc 6ft 5-6wt built on a Forecast glass spin blank. I turned down and stained a cork insert for some aluminum slide bands. Here is a pic of the new set-up.

I also be tying up a bunch of flies to replace some of my current stock.

Lou

im pondering building a 5wt. been talking to hook and hackle, they have a decent sale going on. an all of theier h&h im6 kits are now batson blanks

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

If you are thinking of building a rod, check Hook & Hackle - the email flyer today had some real bargins!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I am moving soon, but still will try to squeeze in some flies for a swap. Our club has 3 meetings (2 presentations, 1 tying) a month so will participate in those. The casting club meets once a week so there is another night devoted to the FF art. For flies, I have a 'must have' list of 42, so will be replenishing and possibly upgrading inventory first. Then I will work on the really new ideas/materials/experiments with whatever I read/learn over the winter. Most of this is trout related although usually I fish for bass - I just don't find bass are as fussy on accurate casts or patterns.

i got that email flyer too, one of the reasons ive been emailing bob at h&h. that up to 40% off looked really nice, lol. and i wanted to support a sponsor. i gotta make a decsion on length first.
    whats a good lengh for a 5wt? i was thinking 8'6. im not sure of reel yet, but i dont have a pflueger medalist yet and ive heard you have to have one of them.

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I've got a H&H 9' 4 pc. 5 wt. Forecast to finish wraping and a H&H Forecast 7' 6" 4 pc. 4 wt. to start. Probably do a 9' 7 or 8 wt. for spring Steel Head. And a couple of Christmas present rods.
    I'll also be tying replacements as well as flys for the Fish-In next August. I'd like to get a Swap going at the Fish-In of the flys for that week. Get attendees to tie a couple of dozen (maybe more) and exchange them there.
    Other than that not doing much at all.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 25 October 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread