+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hexagraph

Default Hexagraph

I have read a lot about these rods and would like to hear if anyone has any experience with them. The more I read about them the more I like them but we all know that marketing words are there to encourage purchase. Has anyone any experience with these great looking rods?

You might try a Product Review here: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/hexagraph.html:d1def]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/hexagraph.html[/url:d1def]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

here we go

Thanks Ladyfisher
    JC, I am not quite sure that I understand your comments...

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 29 March 2005).]

dleo,

I have one, 5wt. got it used in a trade. Original hex I think, has Walton's name on it.

Really like it and consider it as a dry fly rod. If you like rods super fast this would not be the rod for you.

Kind of fun, many will ask you if you are fishing a bamboo.

Haven't tried the "new" ones, since Walton Powell dropped his involvement. Like all rods, cast one and if it fits your style and stroke buy it.

baldmidge

Thanks for the input bald midge. I usually do fish bamboo and enjoy the feel of the lovely reed. I have bamboo that ranges from very slow with a lot of reserve power to nearly as fast as some graphite. Lately, I have read a lot about this Hexagraph and then when a friend of mine asked about their performance I decided to embark on a knowledge quest from those that have fished it rather than just from those that sell it. It does sound like it could be a pleasing rod to fish.

I noticed in an ad the other day that they are now making 1 pc rods up to 7'. That sounds like an intresting rod to try.

Pete

------------------
    [url=http://blacklabfliesandsupplies.com:c51f6]http://blacklabfliesandsupplies.com[/url:c51f6]

Hey Pete, that 7foot one piece sounds like a nice little stick. One of htese days I am going to make a 7' one piece in a 4 wt just to say that I did. I think it would be pretty cool to have a 7' one piece in a classic taper.
    I just ordered a 7'6" Hex from Harry, and I look forward to fishing it. I read a lot of reviews and talked to a lot of people that have had great success with theirs. Should be a pretty nice rod.

I took a look at your site, pretty nice stuff you make there Pete. Most impressive thing was that little 'gill rod!! Nice looking blugill too!

dleo
    was traveling and just caught up with your Hexagraph query. I have 2 of them, both of the Walton Powell redesign vintage. The 1st was an 8' #3-6 (! seriously, and all 4 sizes do work) that I got one autumn in Jellystone. The other was a custom 7'6" #4-5 that Don Douple put together.

If you like cane, you will like Hexagraphs, at least since the production went down to Houston. The actions are very reminiscent of a solid hex (which of course these are too) in a moderate, Orvis type action. They are heavier in the hand than hollow graphites, but have a very stable feel that translates into great fishability for feel, feedback during the casting stroke, striking and fighting hooked fish.

I most value these Hexes for their sturdiness and durability. Anytime I'm bushwhacking through dense cover, I gravitate to the Hexes. And anytime I'm in a boat with solid gunwales, Hexes are there with me. In other words, hollow plastic tubes scare me in both these circumstances, especially high modulus graphites.

tl
    les

------------------
    tl
    les

I have a new 6 wt "Hexagraph" model, and it is very very nice. All Hexagraph models use the same blanks by the way, its just the finish that differs. I like mine very much. You have to cast slower though. Write Briscoe, the president, and he will answer your questions. He even took mine out to test cast it before shipping it and recommended many things to me, like the line to get and the casting style.
    Migs

+ Reply to Thread