A response to TyeFlies question regarding whether I liked the Hexagraph before I bought it -
The Hexagraph acquisition is an interesting little story. I knew nothing of the Hexagraph until an unfortunate circumstance lead me to it - by accident. In about 1990 or 91, I was returning from a trip to the Bozeman area when all of my fly rods were stolen in "checked baggage" - 5 rods, reels and spools, flies, glasses - everything in one big bag - a disaster (that's another story - airlines!). I'm just a regular fisherman - average skills - so I set about the arduous task of buying myself a complete new arsenal (worse things can happen). Among the things I had lost was a favorite wading staff. I had contacted a fellow about a new staff, told him my sad story and he just happened to ask if I'd heard of Walton Powell and this new "concept" in fly rods - Hexagraph. He was a friend of Walt's and was persistant - one thing lead to another. I had a free travel ticket on Continental that was going to expire worthless and Walt was doing a show in late January in Somerset NJ. With nothing else to do on a winter weekend I decided, what the heck, and flew up to meet him. Walt gave me the entire pitch and I was intrigued because the rod was in fact unique - technologically and aestheically -right in between cane and tubular graphite with elements of each. Walt "sold" me a rod at a discount (no free stuff from Walt - ever). I brought it home and began to lawn cast with it and frankly was, at first, puzzled by the timing of it being so different from what I had been using - fast and super-fast tubulars. The more I used it though, the more I was intrigued. Walton was looking for "investors" to get the concept moving. My first opportunity to fish it was late that Spring and I went to Colorado for my convincing. I remember the moment specifically, as though it were a photograph --- I was standing in the Eagle River near Vail and an awesome caddis hatch started. In moments fish were rising everywhere around me. I was so absorbed in the hatch that I was not paying any attention to the rod when suddenly I realized that I was casting in all directions, at all distances, at all angles, practically in a complete circle around me -- and I was doing it without any effort whatsoever -- and without false-casting at all - not to change directions or distances - I was just picking up and laying down and the cast was going absolutely spot-on to wherever I was looking - it was as though it were just automatic - telepathic, almost. It was an amazing half-hour and I learned that I had to "let" the rod do the casting - much like "letting" a sports car take the road. I was literally amazed, climbed out of the stream, got home, called Walton and started the adventure.
So, to answer your question, "No, not right at first .... it took a little getting used to."
One of my favorite testimonials is from a fellow who compared casting the Hexagraph to one's first experiences with single malt scotch ..... "an acquired taste, but once acquired then almost an addiction - nothing else will do quite the same."
It's been a lot of fun casting since.

Harry J. Briscoe
Hexagraph Fly Rods

------------------
hjb