Otter,

Sounds like we cut our teeth on the same area!!! I grew up in the southern portion of the great state of Louisiana!

Anyway, my personall best is one I know I'll never be able to beat. I was doing the same thing as you, fishing for sac-au-lait (crappie) with a #12 Royal Humpy. Although I was mostly catching a lot of bluegill, I was holding out hope that a good sac-au-lait would come up and take a swipe at it. I cast up next to a small area of grass next to an undercut bank, and then I saw JAWS start moving toward the fly.

JAWS in this case was a 28" Redfish!!! Man do I miss the good old days!!!!

Now I am in Louisville, Ky. People up here consider a 18 inch Rainbow to put a work out on you with a #6 weight fly rod!!! These guys just don't realize what an 18+" Redfish will do to you!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have become addicted to fresh water trout fishing. But I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for fishing an area where one cast brings a large bluegill. The next casts brings a really nice largemouth. The next cast can bring a nice Speckled Trout or Redfish. The next cast ... heck, you all get the picture.

Reggie