I have a slightly different take on this so I guess I'll add my .02.
I fly fish cold water,salt water,and warm water. I seem to go in 8-10 year cycles of which one I concentrate on. This year has been an even mix of all three. I look at each kind a little differently.

To me trout fishing is more technical. Match the hatch, precise casts, C&R, light lines, boxes and boxes of tiny flys, etc. It all requires a lot of thought, planning, and practice.

Salt water fishing is like doing battle. Heavy rods, a single box of big flys, the wind and the pounding surf. It's all very exciting, but definitely not as technical.

Now I'm sure a lot of you will disagree, but warm water fishing is all about relaxation.
A box of panfish flys. A box of bass flys. A rod or two that can cast your fly into that little pocket in the lillies. Out in the canoe, no shoes (or waders), an adult beverage or two, kickin' back, takin'it easy, ahh. Now thats the life.

Or at least my take on it.

------------------
"The trout were laughing so hard at us that they considered evolving legs so they could crawl on to land and catch their breath"
Dave Barry

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 07 October 2005).]