+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Are Warmwater Fishermen Different?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Larry,

An excellent point! The upper-class tradition is evident for both trout and salmon. They may only be caught with the finest equipment and then only after years of study. You need look no farther than the full-dressed salmon fly as evidence of that view. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

I just dunno...I've posted to this thread previously, but feel a need to add something. It's not so much what you fish with as it is a mindframe. You use what feels good and does the job....no discussion about this. I'm the same. My favorite fishing rod is a Dorber 9' 3wt, 2-piece. Pflueger reels are fine with me, they do the job. Good lines are available at a local grocer store, believe it or not, AquaNova, for 9.95. Dorber sells the same lines for 12.95. They may not last as long as Cortland, Rio, or SA, but they perform well.
    Anyway, I started the panfish column on FAOL, and it has been one of the longest running, if not the very longest lasting column here. I'm 4-5 blocks from 2 tailwaters with world-class trout, but I'm also minutes from lake fishing for smallies, creek fishing for all species, and almost every species of fish on the American continent except salmon or grayling. And I still fish with bargain basement equipment. It's a personal thing, I think, to use no more than is necessary.

Wow, what a great post, I prefer walking out my door and using a 3wt custom made 90.00 and a cortland vista dx s reel and enjoy the rod to no end, A custom 8wt 10' for salt under 160.00, with a Lamson vel v2 reel.

The 5wt 6wts 9-10 wts are all moderate in price. Its not the cost of the rod or reel its the expertiece of the user. The warm water guy vs. the cold water or salt guy is an ego thing in my opinion. I picked up a sage 8wt and thru it at a ring at a gathering of fly fishers and it flew like a bird and landed gracefully at the target, grrrr, now if I can find a moderate rod to do the same thing .

After buying low to meduim rods and reels and enjoying them, why do I have around $4000.00 in tying materials,hooks,vises,books,videos,cd's etc.
    Whats your warmwater inventory MMMM, even more I bet.

Na we are not different, we sure catch more fish on a consistant bases I bet and with alot less cost in equipment. Tying equipment, thats another post I guess

Regards to all

Philip

------------------
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Yeah we are different! I do both, & IMHO, a trophy (12" in Ohio) gill is one HELL of a lot tougher to catch than a trophy trout! Admittedly, I m probably comparing to "stockers", but as Anglerdave said, gill fishing can be VERY technical. Again, IMHO, a true trophy gill ranks as possibly THE toughest freshwater trophy to catch per angler hours spent chasing the prize. I also agree that the $$ spent on the equipment is far less important than presentation & timing. Somebody like Rick Z would most likely kick my butt with A willow stick for a rod!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have a slightly different take on this so I guess I'll add my .02.
    I fly fish cold water,salt water,and warm water. I seem to go in 8-10 year cycles of which one I concentrate on. This year has been an even mix of all three. I look at each kind a little differently.

To me trout fishing is more technical. Match the hatch, precise casts, C&R, light lines, boxes and boxes of tiny flys, etc. It all requires a lot of thought, planning, and practice.

Salt water fishing is like doing battle. Heavy rods, a single box of big flys, the wind and the pounding surf. It's all very exciting, but definitely not as technical.

Now I'm sure a lot of you will disagree, but warm water fishing is all about relaxation.
    A box of panfish flys. A box of bass flys. A rod or two that can cast your fly into that little pocket in the lillies. Out in the canoe, no shoes (or waders), an adult beverage or two, kickin' back, takin'it easy, ahh. Now thats the life.

Or at least my take on it.

------------------
    "The trout were laughing so hard at us that they considered evolving legs so they could crawl on to land and catch their breath"
    Dave Barry

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 07 October 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread