I've been thinking about this question for the last couple of weeks and I thought I would throw it out to the group and get some different points of view.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked the members of this Warmwater BB if they considered themselves high end, medium or low end equipment user. Almost everyone listed themselves as a low-end tackle user. Many were quite proud of their frugal selections particularly those who used outfits under $50 or $60. Some of those who had higher priced outfits stressed that they had picked them up on sale or received them as a gift. Noticeably lacking were individuals who considered themselves high-end tackle users. We also lacked the usual letters virulantly defending high-end tackle purchases and suggesting that Dave Micus be burned at the stake. Both the saltwater board and general board had much more heated arguements about equipment prices.

Are warmwater anglers different from our trout, salmon, and saltwater comrades? If so, why do we tend to be satisfied with lower priced equipement?

Some of the reasons that I have considered:

Genuine poverty?

LMB and sunfish don't run that fast or
far?

Our cane pole tradition?

Lack of interest in new equipment
development and failure to see a need
to upgrade?

What do you think? I personally think that fighting style of LMB and sunfish may be the major reason. The lack of highspeed runs means that most warmwater fish can be handled with low-end equipment. I seldom play warmwater fish from the reel. Please don't misunderstand my point. I'm not saying these fish are not challenging (and fun) to catch but only that they don't put the strain on tackle that occurs in salmon, large trout and saltwater fishing. Just my 2% of a dollar. What's your 2 cents on the subject? 8T

------------------
You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.