I was fishing in the Susquehanna today in the afternoon with my spinning rod. All the hot shallow water with all the nitrates gave the smallmouth bass a killer fungis. 99% of the bass are dead. All the fry this year were killed, and the past two flooded years were almost no spawn............ makes me sick, the Susquehanna was a "world class" smallmouth fishery, ..... but , the channel cats that are all stocked are still alive in the river. I've been hitting them pretty good with a slip float system.
Below the power plant, I saw fish smacking the top like bluefish in the ocean. They were shad, so I tried a small plastic 1" worm on a 1/64 jig head. I caught 4. They were approx 16"ers and fought pretty good. I couldn't see what they were eating.
Tomorrow I'll take my fly rod with some small sparkle minnows. I'm tying them as I write this e-mail. LOL

This shows me that I should have taken my fly rod. Even catfish are way more fun with the long rod. I hate the heavy, stinkin', spinning crap. I wonder why I use the junk.

Catch & Release,
Longrodder