Had a thrill today, catching 8 w.w. species in a couple of hours. Hiked up to a "spillover" dam on the Nashua River in Massachusetts which I was able to do because the water downstream was so low. Fished knee-deep in the fast water in the spillway (if it were a coldwater fishery you'd expect rainbows in this fast water) where I caught one 10" smallmouth bass and eight very thick and strong 12-14" fallfish (we call 'em chubs) in the fast water on streamers. But when this slowed down I cast directly into the duckweed that covered the backeddie between the tongue of the fast water and the shore. What a thrill: one largemouth, two perch about 9-10", a bunch of blue gills, one red-ear sunfish, one crappie and four rock bass. I know readers of this bulletin board will appreciate the thrill this was...but many of my trout-fishing buddies would severely scorn me for casting my fly line into duck-weed covered water. But that is their loss *G*

BTW, the most effective fly was a small "conehead combo", which was published as a recent FOTW.

------------------
Peter F [url=http://www.fishingwithflies.com:e3811]www.fishingwithflies.com[/url:e3811]
pfrailey@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Peter F (edited 21 August 2005).]