+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yak or Toon?

yak yak yak!!!

yuk yuk yuk

I mean yak yak yak. I have one and love it. Also have a u tube and enjoy fishing from that as well.

Before I bought my yak, I had seriously considered getting a toon. The main drawback I saw was not being able to efficiently cover great distances, especially when paddleing up river. So I went with the yak and haven't looked back.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Hey Clint,

I have long had problems with my lower
    back as well. When canoeing, I often like
    to pull into the bank and walk about a bit
    and do a few stretching exercises for the
    back.

Kayaking on the other hand does not seem
    to present the same problems for me. But
    realizing the possible problem, I took it
    into consideration when selecting a kayak.
    I went with the Walden Adirondack. It's a
    fair sized boat of the recreational class
    that easily handles my weight. It has a
    very roomy cockpit which enables me to change leg position at will. And mostly it
    has one of the best designed seats offered
    IMHO. The seat has excellent back support
    and is fully adjustable 3 ways from Sunday.
    I find that lengthy paddle trips are no
    longer problematic for me. Another great
    feature of this craft was the price. It
    did not break the bank.*G* Nothing will
    replace "trying before you buy", but I would
    recommend the Adirondack as one to try.
    Warm regards, Jim

Two more observations:

1. A kayak is not as good as a canoe and never will be for fishing. Canoes are higher up and with lots more room and ability to move around. It is what you loose to gain the size and weight benefits from a kayak.

2. A Wilderness Systems Pungo comes with a Phase III seat that adjusts for cushion firmness, cushion angle, back angle and back rest height. It is by far the best seat I have seen, especially for those of us with less than perfect backs.

jed

I have back pain (can't walk from my desk to my truck without my foot going numb) and I kayak fish. Kayaking seems to be actually be therapuetic for me.

If you buy a kayak, buy the best seat you can afford.

Here is an article for folks starting out..

[url=http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050807/SPORTS05/508070317/1022/sports05:754d3]Kayak Fishing Article[/url:754d3]

Good Luck,

-Phil

[This message has been edited by BassYakker (edited 18 August 2005).]

Clint

While I do not recommend buying a yak before trying several, if there are no shops in your area, you might want to get in touch with the yak folks who are a sponsor here on FAOL.

Just a thought.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Bud,

Does your back pain flare up WHILE you are in the canoe, or does it hurt you all the time?

If it happens only in the canoe, then the cause might be that you own a canoe that's too heavy. Your paddles might be too heavy as well.

It's sad, but one of the nation's best-selling canoes is a clunky plastic affair with metal tube bracing (aka "Texas Beer Cooler With Indoor Plumbing"). Off the rack one of these beasts will weigh 100-plus pounds. If you are getting older -- and even if you were getting younger -- you have no business humping a canoe that heavy on your shoulders.

If you have the means, I suggest getting yourself a lightweight solo canoe made of Kevlar. There are also lightweight Royalex solo canoes available. By lightweight, I mean from 24 lbs up to 45 lbs.

Likewise, most canoeists at one time or another will buy a paddle constructed with an aluminum shaft and a heavy plastic blade. You can wear yourself slick using one of these war clubs. A better choice that's much easier on your body is a carbon-graphite foam core paddle in "bent shaft" style. Using a paddle that weighs just 8 or 10 ounces turns paddling into something more akin to a video game; there's no sensation of paddle weight in your hands whatsoever, yet the boat moves nicely along.

Last, even though you paddle your canoe from the kneeling position (best for stability and control) does your canoe have kneeling pads? If not, then your back may be hurting because you unconsciously put your torso in wierd positions just to relieve the pain in your knees and ankles.

If that's going on, then I suggest you buy an old Army surplus green closed cell foam sleeping pad. Cut out some squares or rectangles that are large enough to cover the areas where your knees and feet make contact with the boat, then glue those pieces in position using Weldwood Cement.

Having a lightweight canoe and main paddle (the backup paddle can be any old thing) plus outfitting your canoe to make it as cushy as possible, those things will minimize back pain, or in your case possibly make it go away entirely.

BTW, do you remain aware of your back pain when a fish is on? If not, the cause of that is adrenaline. All the more reason to keep fishing, right?

Joe

"Better small than not at all."

If you want to cover more water definately go with the yak. I have a Old town discovery canoe with oar locks that rows easily and fast but I can not cover nearly as much water as I can with my kayak or as fast. On small ponds I prefer the canoe because of the room and stability. I can stand and cast in the canoe but don't dare in the yak. I have never rolled a canoe but have rolled a yak. In the spring the only man powered boat that I can keep enough speed in while trolling for LL salmon is my kayak and it is so easy to paddle that I can do it all day. I have a rod holder just behind my seat so that trolling doesn't interfere with paddling.

If boat weight is an issue a small hand trailer is easy to build or buy. I have one with knobby air filled tires that I use with my yak and canoe to pull it down bike paths and marshes to get to the water with all my gear in my yak or canoe.

If you are worried about stowing your paddle when you hook into a fish attach a lanyard to it and the kayak or yourself so you can just throw the paddle into the water for the hookup and it won't float away so it can easily be retrieved.

I have never tried a tube or pontoon so I can't say if they are better.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

I have fished from both a canoe and a kayak and I prefer the kayak. I use the Hobie Mirage Outback which has a removable pedal/flippers devise that works great. It keeps your hands free for fishing, is super quiet and really moves when you want to cover any distance. It is the best personal water craft I've ever used, hands down (no pun intended). It's super easy to pedal and steer and at age 55, I've experienced no back pain at all. I use it now about 4-5 evenings per week since moving to a house on a very nice 50 acre lake I strongly recommend this kayak and suggest you look it over before you make your final decision.

Jim Smith

I am 67 and have had back problems for years. I toured and fished from a kayak and after awhile I would have problems with my legs and back. I fish mostly alone and being in a kayak in back country in deep water and swampy banks can be dangerous.

I bought a 15' 4" Gheenoe High Sider with a 44" beam and put a small outboard on the square stern and now go long distances in the shallow back country where no bass boats go. I position the boat for casting with a kayak paddle and it responds canoe-like. I anchor it with a 3 lb little anchor. When my back gets stiff, I stand up and fish. I transport it on an aluminum trailer and can launch it without back strain. Not bad if you want to go fairly long distances and still have maneuverablitiy while fishing. The Gheenoe weighs 120 lbs and the motor 55 lbs. and two people can fish at the same time.

It might not be a good option for ponds, but it does well in small creeks, swamps and bayous. Tom

+ Reply to Thread