+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Buds

Default Fishing Buds

I was wondering what everyone prefers: ie, how you enjoy the "quiet sport" do you prefer to fish with others, or engage a river alone?

Personally, i enjoy talking while i fish, about patterns, insects, water, the weather...etc.

thought it might make an interesting thread,

RL

RL,

I fish alone 90% of the time because all my fishing buddies have work and family commitments that keep them far too busy. I do love spending the day on the water by myself. I like that nothing is pushing me to move at any pace other than what feels right. I also see a lot more wildlife alone. However, that said, I love it when my buddies come out and I get to chew the fat and enjoy a beer at the end of the day. I also like to fish with new people because they always have stuff to teach, or insights to share.

Adam

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

I do fish alone quite a bit. I have two or three fishing "buddies" who are very, very enjoyable to fish with, two of whom are fly fishers. The third is a spin guy who understands distance and positioning that works well for both of us. A fourth fishing buddy is a work in progress and I don't think I'll live long enough to not be frustrated with him while fishing. He's a converted walleye guy with tunnel vision, and a havester as well. Every fourth word from him is "limit." However, he is an interesting man with some odd thoughts about science and social aspects, so despite the frustration we have fun conversations. I will drive if I can. Otherwise it's the Righteous Brothers all the way to the lake and back, and we're 45 minutes one way from the closest one. The first ride to the lake brings back keen memories, but from then on I long for Stevie Ray. JGW

I fish alone 99% of the time even when with my friends.

I fish more than most of my buddies, several times a week as I have really good trout fishing minutes away including some I can walk to. So I?m really alone most of the time. I especially like it at tough streams that I know well so I can leapfrog to the holes that I know will produce without worrying about someone being there.

When the gang gets together we go our separate ways and communicate by walkie- talkie; busting each others ball$ and letting the other guy know what's working. Those walkie-talkies were one of the best purchases I ever made!

At the end of the day we meet back at the vehicles; have a beer or three and commence the de-briefing before we head back to camp for vittles and nonsense.

I almost always fish with my regular partner, my wife. Sometimes we are within sight of each other, sometimes not. If she hooks up, you'll know it no matter where you are on the river. That "Fish On!" of hers travels a long way.

I've got a couple buddies that I enjoy fishing with, both active duty military, who also understand the need for distance. They've been known to low hole each other at times though.

REE

I'm the lone fisher almost all the time. There are some advantages, and mostly, I like it that way.

I spent the first 10-15 years basically fishing alone. Loved every minute of it! No pools or favorite runs to share. No one saying what time to leave or go. No competition... it was great.
    Now I rarely fish alone. It must be the surroundings but it seems everyone I fish with is a true gem. The company is much appreciated and brings a certain spice to outings that just isn't there when fishing alone.

Boy Scout rule #1 - "Always have buddy"!
    Although I do fish alone from time to time,
    A good fishing budy is hard to beat.
    I enjoy the "quiet company" type.
    Besides, have to have a little competition.

------------------
    **MW**

I fish alone, or, with one of my yungins...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Used to always fish (mainly lakes) with a mate or two, recently have found that catch rate goes up as no. of companions goes down ???

+ Reply to Thread