+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to bass

Default New to bass

I am mostly resricted to warmwaters and resently got a 8wt. rod and was wondering if anybody could recomend some streamers for bass other than clousers and deceivers?

Welcome to FAOL and the WWB!

Some other streamers would be Mickey Finns, Zonkers, Muddlers and Woolly Buggers to name a few.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thank you for the recomedations anglerdave. I will be sure to try those.

Don't forget to try some top water stuff like poppers and frogs early morn and late eve!

this time of year I'd try some Dahlberg Divers and hopper imitations, such as the fly of the week or a muddler. jgw

I already tied up several divers, poppers, sliders, and hoppers. Any recomendations on frog patterns.

My go-to streamer pattern for bass is either a chartruese over white or all black pattern tied in the hi-ti method like a baby bunker. My favorite material to tie them with is Polar Fiber or Icelandic Sheep fur for the larger (8-9 inch) versions. Great pattern and very durable. My personal best is 84 bass in one morning on one fly. That fly was retired out of respect for a job well done and now adorns my computer monitor as a memory of a great day on the water. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about tying this pattern.

Jim Smith

Crayfish,Baby Bluegill (Tied so you can read a news paper thru'em Jus'like a natural),Cricket's (i'd recomend the Matt's Cricket),Madem X and veriations there of,The Cooper bug is a fav.that comes to mind....

Just a few of my fav's....

I know,Not all streamers...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 27 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The suggestions above sound good. I have caught bass on many of them. Below is a site about a stealth bomber I have had good luck with the past 2 years. It is a little like a gurgler, but different and a little like a slider, different. When tied right it makes a ripping bubbling sound when retrieved in short strips.
    [url=http://www.flyfishga.com/stealth.htm:7d604]http://www.flyfishga.com/stealth.htm[/url:7d604]

------------------

Thank you all for these great patterns and I hope to use them next time I go out. I htink I will be at the tying bench the next few days due to the 100+ degree weather we are having here in the south.

+ Reply to Thread