I've fished crayfish pattern's in a lot of water types, and know of a lake thats very weed choked.But I limit my non floating fishing there to weed edges and channels.

Have doubts you'll penitrate weed growth very well, But, Full sinking lines and very heavy flies does seem your best effort....

I'd suggest looking for thin spots and trying to fish vertically,Let your fly drop and sit on the bottom...Some shakeing of the rod might be nessasary to accomplish this feat, Then give it a few jerky pumps and let it settle back down, On a taught line so you might feel any strikes on the fall.

Does'nt sound very enjoyable, But I wish you well anyway, Let us know how it works out.

------------------
"I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill