+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting people to try WW flyfishing??

Default Getting people to try WW flyfishing??

I usually fish from a boat and I often ask if someone wants to hop in the back seat and go along. When I used to go out to fish with casting rods, it was easy to fill the back seat. People seems to jump at the chance to go fishing. But I've found it very difficult to get other fly fishers to go warm water fly fishing. The same people don't hesitate to drive 3 hrs each way to trout stream, but I can't get them to go 10 minutes to a warm water lake.

I was just wondering if anyone else finds it difficult to get other fly fishers to try warm water fly fishing for the first time? Getting people to go WW fly fishing the second time is fairly easy, but I find it difficult to get them to try it the first time.

Rex

Rex,

Where are you at? I'll go any chance I can!

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Elliot, you are welcome to join me, but it might be a long trip for you. I'm in Texas and usually fish Lake Texoma.

We went to South Dakota on vacation a few years ago, you have some pretty country up there.

Rex

If you lived near TN I think you'd have a hard time trying to go alone. But, yes most people I've run into here stick to the trout. I prefer warm water over trout. Let's see; Brown, rainbow,cutthroat, brook trout or; LM bass, Sm bass, Stryper, white bass, yellow bass, drum, carp, gar, crappie, red eye, warmouths, skipjack and an assortment of bluegill. I like variety. Also I'm not affected by generation schedules. Good luck and throw them back so I can catch them too.

[This message has been edited by Crash13 (edited 07 August 2005).]

Well Rex,
    Just today we were wiping "snot" algea from our bass bugs and we thought of troutoids. I could see why some people would preferr cold water to warm. Trout DO live in clean places. (Most do.)
    We also, do not care for driving, and MUCH preferr fishing. WW is closer for us too. Solitude is easy on our farm ponds also.
    To those that like clean water and don't mind the drive (for some), troutoids are a GRAND thing, worth the effort.
    To those that think "other" piscatorial target are "unworthy" or not "technical" enough, first I say balderdash, then I say good......more room on the water for us!
    .....lee s.
    PS - The pond treated us well....

Rex,

Unfortunately, I would probably have the same problem on the first time to get people to go but after that it would be easy. Unfortunately, for me, I sold my bass boat 12 years ago when I took up the rivers and the fly rod and now have to save up to purchase a boat again! I would have no problem fishing warm water with my fly rod. I think it would be a blast and I would probably be the only fly fisherman on the local lakes here. I fly fish the rivers here below the cold water for the black perch, blue gill, small mouth, etc., but would love to hit the lakes.

Crash 13,

If you ever plan a trip to my part of Tennessee to fish Tim's Ford Lake, Normandy Lake or Woods Lake and would like someone to go with you that knows those lakes, let me know. I will take the back seat any day.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread