+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just had a thought..........

Default Just had a thought..........

Yeah, yeah, save the wise-cracks I know it's usually a bad thing Anyways, anyone here use a spey rod in warm water?? Just curious, my "thought" was that the longer rod might help with bass bugging and larger flies. Anyhow, all comments, thoughts, opinions (even wise-cracks) are welcome.
    Tight lines,
    bd

Well I may have sort of a "taste" of that soon. A friend of mine is building a 10' 5wt rod soon. Will be interesting!

bonedog;

I saw a demo of someone using a long fly rod, about 12 feet. He was using the sprey style of casting to cast under bridges in Salt water. One of these days I would like to try that. Seems he was fishing for Tarpon. I wish I could remember where I saw it. But I would guess you could use that style anyplace you found the need.

Interesting post, I cannot wait to read the answeres.

Harold

Most of my warm water fly fishing involves casts of 30' or less. Even on some of the rivers I fish. It is my understanding that the advantage of a spey rod is to be able to cast line at distances that you couldn't with a normal cast.

If it is larger bugs and flys you are wanting to throw, try going to a heavier weight line. I use a 9' 8wt for the majority of my bass fishing.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

We tossed together a 10' 5wt several seasons ago. It seemed a good idea for trying to lift more line over the "poop" that "lives" around the edges of ponds. It is now one of our favorite sticks for this purpose. If that is one of your desired functions, seems the long pole just might be beneficial to you.
    For tossing really big bugs or fishing really dense poop with the need to drag fish thru it, we opt for a much heavier stick.....9wt or 10wt.
    .....lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 04 August 2005).]

One of the things with a longer,light weight rod is that it takes more line to load the rod well. I can't really make short cast with the 10.5 ft 3 wt that I have.

I have to have about 35 to 40 feet of line out to cast decently(or as decently as I can).

Rick

I was just curious as to what everyone thought. As with most of you the majority of my casts on the pond are short. Typically the strike zone (particularly this time of year for bass) is very small. My thought was that the long rod might aid when anchoring the boat and covering water, ie. shoot the bug near the bank, cover the strike zone area with a short retrieve and lift and shoot again. There is a lot of overhang around the best areas. Anyhow, like I said, just a thought, and I thought you guys might give me half an excuse to get another fly rod
    bd

Typically the strike zone (particularly this time of year for bass) is very small.
    Is this the zone in which the lure must be presented to provice a strike/ Is this also true for Gills?
    Any idea what this zone size may be ?

Bone

There is a pond near my house that is litterally in a jungle of trees and shrubs. Every cast is a roller and I cannot reach all of the pond. I bet a spey would get to those hard to reach areas.

Go ahead and buy the new spey. You have my permission. I will not tell your wife. I promise.

+ Reply to Thread