+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice on Selecting 12 wt Saltwater Reel

Default Need Advice on Selecting 12 wt Saltwater Reel

The reels I am considering are:

Old Florida # 6 standard arbor $230+/-
    Tioga #12 $190 +/-
    Redington AS 11/12 or 13/14 (Discontinued but available on eBay for $125 +/-)

I am interested in getting into Tarpon fishing, of the reels/drag system listed which would best stand up to the salt and the abuse of Tarpon fishing?

Any other reels you would recommend in this general price range?

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

We have the Tioga you speak of and do mostly albacore with it. We like it real well, but have nothing else to compare it with. What did draw us to it (besides being people of very humble means) is the fact it is "full framed". We won't buy a reel anymore that is not.
    .....lee s.

Old Florida has a good following. I've only seen them, but they would be my choice too, given the other options.

The best description I have heard for reel makers is: Some reel makers make trout reels in big game sizes. Some reel makers make big game reels in trout sizes.

If you are going after tarpon, save up for a big game reel. There's a reason that folks use Tibor, Pate, Ross Canyon BG, Islander, Abel! Go used if you have to! I know where there's a lightly used Tibor Everglades that just sold for $300 and a Billy Pate Tarpon for $250.

If you must have new look at the new TFO large arbor saltwater reel. Looked pretty good at the shows this winter.

Save up your $$ and buy a used Abel, Tibor or Pate. Those other reels have a much smaller probability of lasting. Think of the extra few bucks you spend as a trip insurance policy.

Best,

-John

I would look for a Penn 4. They are inexpensive, very tough, have a superb drag, seem to last forever, and can be had for short money.,

If you really want economy look for a Charlton 8550C with Tarpon spool. It will be the last reel you will need to buy.

Thanks for the comments I really appreciate your input. I agree that spending more would result in a far superior reel but since the State of Minnesota is still vacillating on the idea of salinating Lake Superior and introducing Tarpon there, this type of fishing is going to be a once a year shot at best. With my current budget constraints the difference between the reels I mentioned and the others suggested is the difference between staying at a hotel in the area or having to pitch a tent, and my back can no longer take sleeping on the ground.

From what I am hearing the Redington or the Tioga stand a pretty good chance of enduring 4-5 days of tarpon fishing, landing a few decent fish without blowing up on me (whether I can hook a fish or not is an entirely different story). This gives me the opportunity to get a taste of Tarpon fishing without breaking the bank and upgrading the equipment down the road.

I think I?ll go dump my salt shaker into Lake Superior and get the process going! ;^)

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 18 April 2005).]

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 19 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread