Thanks for the comments I really appreciate your input. I agree that spending more would result in a far superior reel but since the State of Minnesota is still vacillating on the idea of salinating Lake Superior and introducing Tarpon there, this type of fishing is going to be a once a year shot at best. With my current budget constraints the difference between the reels I mentioned and the others suggested is the difference between staying at a hotel in the area or having to pitch a tent, and my back can no longer take sleeping on the ground.

From what I am hearing the Redington or the Tioga stand a pretty good chance of enduring 4-5 days of tarpon fishing, landing a few decent fish without blowing up on me (whether I can hook a fish or not is an entirely different story). This gives me the opportunity to get a taste of Tarpon fishing without breaking the bank and upgrading the equipment down the road.

I think I?ll go dump my salt shaker into Lake Superior and get the process going! ;^)

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 18 April 2005).]

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 19 April 2005).]