+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High End-Low End or in the Middle :: REDUX

Default High End-Low End or in the Middle :: REDUX

Okay, after seeing this thread and reading through it, I wanted to kinda spin it a bit.

What price ranges would YOU say are:

Low-end Rods and Combos
    Mid-range Rods and Combos
    High-end Rods and Combos

No brands need be mentioned, but I won't complain if you do. Oh, and if you are talking about wrapping your own, I would like to know what brand.

What prompted this? Well, the other thread, of course, but I also recently got one of those 'catalogs' to order from and they have a page where they classify their rods as 'entry level, mid level and high end' and as I went through it, my idea of prices for each category does NOT align with theirs.

Thanks,

Don
    Don Rolfson

Don, my prices align with the companies, minus $200. For instance, they consider a 'mid-priced' rod to be 450. i consider a mid priced rod to be 250. they consider a high priced rod to be 700, i consider a high priced rod to be 500. I once bought my kids Pflueger Summit outfits--complete rod, reel, line and a video, retails for $79, on sale for $35. The line and reel were junk, but the rod is a very nice casting rod.

The rod I wanted was about $300.00 so I bought a kit and built it. $70.00!
    My small stream rod is a 7' 3 wgt combo out of Cabela's for $100.00 Very nice rod, maybe some day I'll learn to use to it's full potential.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I think Micus is on the right track, but knock another 100 off each of those for me...Hummmm,So this means he really is an Orvis/Abel fan!!!!

as for Blanks/wrapping my own.
    My most recent Blanks are Forecast,Because of all the great things I've heard here of them,And H&H's prices....but I've bought Reddington,St.Croix, euuhemmm orvis...Sharpes (Bamboo)
    It's pretty much Building for me from here on out...

I just like what I can control in doing so..

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 27 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 27 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Here is how I would classify a rod and reel:

Low- $40-$59
    Middle- $60-$99
    High-$100+

I bought a middle priced combo and am extremely happy. I could not see myself spending hundreds of dollars on a rod when my $63 one performs as good as it does.

[This message has been edited by FlyFishZak (edited 27 July 2005).]

I've read and posted in several threads on this subject and it appears the we members however are a cheap lot! But, why are so many of you such accomplished flyfishers? Is it the quality (Price) of the gear or the quality of the person?
    I'm happy to see that so many are in my low end of gear. I wish that some day I will achieve their level of skill.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

My most expensive single piece of equipment is my Sage 5 wt. Launch rod. $200 retail. I have a $900 bamboo rod, but didn't pay for it, I won it in a raffle. I really am not convinced that price means much in fly fishing equipment. I mean one of my favorite rods,besides the Launch, is a 7'6" 4 wt rod I built for $68 (including shipping) on a Forecast blank. As with all sporting equipment these days, I honestly believe that more of it is manufactured to hook fishermen than fish. That's why they hire advertising companies.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Jack's STILL beatin' me on posting!!

My view:
    Low-end rod....under $100.00
    Mid-range rods...$100.00 to $399.00
    High-end rods....$400.00 & up

Reels:
    Low-end....under $75.00
    Mid-range...$75.00 to $200.00
    High-range...$200.00 & up

The problem I have with "labeling" as low, mid, & high-range seems to rate as quality. I tend to look at fishability, & there are some fantastic "low-end" rods/reels out there!
    Bottom line is this: If what you can afford (no matter WHAT level) provides peace, relaxation & fun, it is PRICELESS!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread