+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hot as ...

Default hot as ...

temp of 99 and heat index 110-115 is 4fast 4 saturday, east central mississippi, water in lake like bath water, full moon, will the bluegill attempt to spawn in such conditions? going out early am sat to try them. any suggestions on how and where?

jalama

We're having the same type of weather up here in the Midwest. The bluegill have already spawned here. Ideal water temp is 65 - 70 degrees. I imagine it's the same down there as well.

I'm also going out early tomorrow morning. If there is no wind and the water is flat, look to see if any gills are 'kissing' the surface. If they are, that is a good indication that they are taking midges. I would try a smaller popper with a 12-18" dropper of say 6x and a size 18 - 22 midge.

If there is some type of breeze then I would search deeper water with sinking type fly. Woolly Buggers, or bead head nymphs work well.

If you are going real early then by all means try for a top water bite with a small popper.

Good luck!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Our area lakes typically see water temps in the mid-90's during mid-and-late summer. As hot as its been recently, they are probably already at that temp. Yes, gills will attempt to spawn on every full moon during warm weather....how successful are they? I don't know....But the numbers spawning will probably be very low.

+ Reply to Thread