Smallie,

I can't give you a real good answer on how I rank the Chagrin, because I am pretty new to this as well. Last year and this year are my only experience for smallies on the fly. I live near the lower part, 10 minutes from Chagrin River park, I have caught a couple of steelhead there, but no smallies yet. I work close to the upper part near Solon. I haven't been able to get out on the river much this summer. My first smallie this year , May 25th, was a nice 15" one, the other few I've caught were in the 9-12" range. I like the Chagrin because it's close and pretty. Have you ever tried swinging streamers on the Rocky? Cast about 45 degrees towards the opposite bank, downstream. Let the current tighten the line, and the fly will arc across to your side, sweeping through some fishy water (hopefully). Let it hang in the current below you a few seconds. You can strip in some to imitate a fleeing minnow, then take 2 steps downstream and repeat the process. You can really cover a pool thoroughly that way.

Perhaps we'll run into each other at some point.