+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm water going for trout questions?

Default Warm water going for trout questions?

I didn't know where to post this. Theres a local pond/lake actually a couple that are stocked every year with rainbow and brown trout. Now what kind of flies would I uses? I know some flies can be interchanged between BG and trout, but what about trout in warm water and cold water? Should I be able to use the same flies as for the BG's? Thanks guys.

I go from pond to river using the same flies and catch fish. You will too.

Sounds good! Thank you.

trout are a little "pickier" in my experience. most of your BG flies should work, the main difference will be in your presentation.

BG and LMBs look for food when they hear the unmistakable "plop!" of food hitting the surface. they are also attracted by splashy, noisy, surface poppers and the like. trout dont typically like these things.

when trout fishing, think natural. no drag on your drifts, soft landings, maybe a tiny hand-twitch retrieve in stillwater. BGs and trout are attracted by different qualities in their food. in my experience, the main differences are in presentation over fly type.

Tim -

Try some Chironomids. They should be available to the fish in the lake and would be a good choice to start with. You might try fishing them under an indicator.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:95daa]Warmwater Angler[/url:95daa]

Pull a 'Hatch' and dangle a scud or hare's ear under your regular popper and hit it when the trout are there. Slow retrieve and you should have good success.

Don
    Don Rolfson

Wooly buggers are a must to try for stillwater trout. Midges / chironomids are also good.

------------------
    Joe

I gave a wooly bugger a shot..no good then a marabou muddler..no good. But I was also casting from shore. I caught a whole bunch of bluegills but no trout. Now is there a way to tell the difference between the rise rings of a bg and a trout? Is one softer or more aggresive sounding then the other? I'll give the chironomids and midges a shot when I go again this week end. Thanks guys!

What kind or color chironomids can you guys suggest? Just go with thread larva with Salie Hansens coating in multiple colors or can you guys suggest a different approach? Also as far as midges go I've always wondered about them, I've seen so many patterns but I'm unsure of what would work. I've seen dry type, wet type or are they not seperated into those catagories. Lets take the Zebra midge. How is that supposed to be fised dry or wet? I dont usually fish these patterns. Thank you again everyone!

there are typically the same distinctions with midges as with any other style of fly; larva/pupa, emerger, adult. they hold the same characteristics as other flies, as well, i.e.:wet, dry, nymph.

zebras are pupa, fished as nymphs, chironimids are typically emergent, with a small tuft of CDC or other soft feather as a "crown", fished just under the surface, with the tuft sticking out, and dries having a standard collar-type hackle.

try a Griffiths Gnat(dry), various zebra midges, or Chan's Chironimid as an emerger.

as for the rises, its really hard to say, considering ive never fished your neck of the woods. but in my experience, trout tend to be more subtle in their rises, because they are more scared of the consequences. BGs tend to "slap" the water more. but then again, during a good hatch, greedy trout get pretty aggressive and noisy, too.

[This message has been edited by tyflier (edited 07 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread