Buddy sent me this photo from

Lake Of The Woods

When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

WOW, thats a big fish.
    -Andy

Pure speculation. Looks like they were fishing minnows. You can see the minnow just in front of the smaller pike's mouth.
    Assume the minnow's between 2 and 3 inches long, that would put the smaller fish between 14 and 21 inches. The smaller fish is about the same size as what's visible of the larger fish. You're probably seeing about 1/3 of the larger fish. The fish could be between 42 and 63 inches long.
    Over the years on my trips to Ontario, I've had several pike try to grab small walleye or smallmouths that I was landng. They were no where near the size of that sucker. Still I can't remember a year where some boat didn't come in with the story of a huge pike coming out of nowhere to grab a 2 or 3 lb smallmouth or walleye they were trying to land.

now see, that would scare me. just a big, ugly fish rising out of the deep like that...

Thats why I'm afraid of swimming in water other then a pool.

That's why I never let my kids dangle their feet in the water while fishing out of the boat!

That IS scary!

Oh, how I miss fishing for those brutes! Thanks for the super picture. Cannibal! Pike will attack a fish half its size.
    Using Philly's formula - we used to fish for pike using 4" to 8" minnows. Follow that one thru the formula...

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 08 July 2005).]

'Bouta 22#+ lb "snot-rocket!"

Jeremy.

I'll just have to bite my tounge and pretend I did'nt read the "big Ugly" comment..cause I think second to the Punkinseed sunfish,The Pike is my other Favorite fish...Prolly due to it's aggressiveness.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread