+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gave myself a casting lesson...

Default Gave myself a casting lesson...

Bought myself a St. Croix 7" 3wt for the small brookie's that live here today. Yes I had to lawn cast it. I't was like starting over almost,"snap" "snap" went the end of the line. Got it under control, and wasn't casting to bad with it, then went and got my 8'6 5wt St. Croix, and that dang thing felt like a telephone pole, lol. After casting both for a little time I found out the dif. in distance wasn't much between the 2 rods and my casting... Then of course JC's broom stick came to mind,(that dang thing haunts me) and I realized that I could use a lesson,don't get me wrong I could see the backing on the reel, but I think I should have been able to cast the 5wt alot further... And I would like some of you all's input, should I have been able too???

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Zach,

Quote- " A 3 weight will throw 60 feet in no one's hands with a 1/0 clouser and a 30 mph wind in its face."

What dose this mean? I may be taking it out of context but I don't understand what it is you are trying to say.. 3wg 1/0?

My hackles get raised when ever the casting is only discussed with distance in mind.
    I went to a local store to test cast a few rods and the only lines they had on them were weight forwards the owner claimed people always want to try to cast for distance. This includes fisherman who have never cast a fly rod!!!

And yes, Grubb in time ( and your own timing ) you probally should be able to cast the 5wg farther than the 3wg depending on the line used and your ability. But the 3wg you just got is not a distance rod. I use a 3wg and can get 60'( as most fair casters can) but it is so so so much sweeter at 35' or better yet 25'. 60' on a 3wg is not my idea of fun casting.

I have seen the backing on my 3wg twice. Once while cleaning the line and another time when I first put it on.

Now the 5wg that is another story, not related to my casting ability either, but boy could that trout run..

I hope this makes sense.

[This message has been edited by Steve Molcsan (edited 11 February 2005).]
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote- " A 3 weight will throw 60 feet in no one's hands with a 1/0 clouser and a 30 mph wind in its face."

Zach,

Now this make sense to me,thanks for the clairfication. I am probably the only that needed it.

Old leather head to match my neck!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Thanx Zach, I feel better now...lol

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread