+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting the hook

Default Setting the hook

I have had several bites from bluegill and bass that I did not catch. I know that I can't catch every fish that bites, but I know I can improve my 50% success rate. How do you set the hook for bluegill and bass? Thanks

Point the rod straight at the fish. Give a quick strip, and lift the rod vertically with your whole arm. Don't just "jerk" at the elbow.

There are several possible causes of your situation, and an elimination process may be required for you to diagnose your problem. Possibles include 1) hook larger than the missed fish can intake 2) inadequate line control 3) dulled or bent hook point 4) lack of angler mental and visual focus

There's not much you can do for number 1 except use smaller flies.

Number 3 should be self-evident. A test that some people use is to gently drag the hook point across a finger nail. It should "bite" and not just slip across the surface.

Number 2 and 4 are centered in the angler.

Line control --- Try to always keep your rod tip pointed toward your fly. For me, that is automatic. It feels unnatural to have the rod tip even slightly elevated when line is on the water.

You want to eliminate as much slack in the line as possible. A raised rod tip introduces a bow in the line. That bow is slack, and is also at the mercy of the wind.

The goal is to have as direct a connection between you and the hook as possible. Your fly line won't stretch much, so ANY movement of the line telegraphs action at the hook.

Focus ---- My wife says I enter another dimension when I am fishing. I try to emulate a heron. When a line is out, I am totally focused on either the fly if visible or the tip of the line. I'm concentrating as hard as I can to see ANY indication that a fish is on the fly. I actually try not to blink. I'm listening intently for the "pop" that accompanies a fly being taken from the surface. And I'm physically still except for my line hand which works to keep slack out of the line or impart motion to the fly.

Maintaining that intense concentration is taxing, and frequent breaks are welcomed. For some people I know, concentrating that hard takes all the "fun" out of fishing. I observe they don't catch many fish.

Good luck!

Jim

Wow, Nowindknots. That last bit about the heron. I've been accused of that, too. Concentration is the essense of "catching" and my fly fishing isn't all that much different from ice or any other way of fishing. Any little perceptible line play usually means something is afoot. Most of the fishers I've observed, unless they're cranking, aren't paying attention. "How'd you know you had a bite?" I've been asked for years. "I was watching my line." IMO, many people would catch more fish if they paid closer attention to their lines. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 07 July 2005).]

I have recently had the same problem. A couple of things I have noticed.

1. After losing two fish I downsized to a smaller hook same fly. This worked.

2. I had the fish on the line, rod tip down and started to strip in the line to bring the fish up. I guess in the initial fight I lifted the rod and took the pressure off. This is where I think the fish get off.

So next time I plan to keep the rod tip down and tighten the line with hand pressure only.

If you're failing to hook fish on topwater flies/poppers you may be striking too quickly. It's easy to overreact and actually pull the fly away from the fish. If I start missing topwater strikes I slow down a bit. Pull the rod slightly to the side and try not to actually set the hook until you feel the weight of the fish.

Bluegill also seem to sometimes "smack" the fly/popper to kill it [I guess} B4 taking it. The only way I've found to get around this is to try to set the hook with the line hand only. That way you don't move the fly very far - no more than 5-6" - giving the fish a "second chance".

Hope this might help -

Donald

In referance to the fly your actually using. I notice when I use a fly that the tails off a bit too far from the hook the fish will hit the tail and not the entire fly. I.E. a wooly bugger. Other then that I find you really need to concentrate on the fly.

One way to keep slack out of your line is to keep the fly in motion as well. When I'm using nymphs for panfish, after letting the fly drop, I frequently use a SLOW steady retrieve. If the fish hits, I'm basically already setting the hook.

I'm with nowindknots on point 2. I am always carrying at least a hook file, and probably a hook hone with me. Even in my bait/gear days I had a hook file with me. It makes the difference, even on dry/popper flies.

all good points,And in still water fishing it is key,To allow for the "FEEL" of the fish.
    and this to requires Focous too..in that you must resist the urge to strike till you feel the fish through the rod......other forms of Flyfishing don't require this..but in still waters...it is a must!
    You'll get it Zack...Just keep on Fish'in!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread