Dave,
You're welcome. Man, I hope you can get those carp to take. I can tell you're really wanting to. I'm pulling for you. If you have problems email me and I'll try to help you and I'll bet Okie, Poke or LHD would do the same. I've been fishing over thirty years with every type of gear (spin, baitcast and fly) for all kinds of WW fish and I don't think anything has ever captivated me as much as sight fishing for carp. They are such a hoot it's unreal and the good thing is you'll have them all to yourself. You won't have to get in line to fish down a bank like they do on some of the more popular largemouth lakes or "combat fish" shoulder to shoulder on some of the more popular trout streams like the San Juan or White River and I've done all that too.
As far as carp being related to bonefish, I'm not sure but I agree with you, they sure are built a lot alike. Take a look at a saltwater red fish too. They remind me a lot of a carp. You'll hear people say carp are ugly and they live in polluted environments. Neither of those statements is true. They are a really handsome fish once you get them in your hand and examine one. Their yellowish gold color is outstanding and their large scales are really attractive. And as far as them living in polluted places well that may be true some places but the places I fish for them are on some of the prettiest little clear lakes around here with trees, cattails, green grass, and clear blue Oklahoma skies for a backdrop.