I am fairly new to fly fishing, but I'm starting to get the hang of this casting thing (guesstimating 50ft or so, with moderate accuracy). I am also tired of catching blue gill. Which, it seems, are the only fish that I can catch. Or even get to bite, actually.

To date I have tried:
hoppers, extended body dragons/damsels, conehead combos, dahlberg diver (both before and after dark), deerhair frog, clousers, and one sea ducer.

I've fished the "open water," in by the weeds, and in between. I only fish from the shore (them gators get pretty big down here).

I've tried my best to fish all the different depths I can. And I've tried my best to vary my stripping.

My roomate has me fishing hardware with him occassionaly, and it's starting to frustrate that I can catch bass with rubber worms and hardware but not on a fly.

He got fed-up with fly fishing 'cause all he could catch were bluegill, and now he only uses hardware. I really enjoy fly tying and fly fishing, so I don't want to give up on it, but I'm afraid I'm heading that way.

Can someone help me, PLEASE??