+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Fishing (Central Florida) - Please Help

Default Bass Fishing (Central Florida) - Please Help

I am fairly new to fly fishing, but I'm starting to get the hang of this casting thing (guesstimating 50ft or so, with moderate accuracy). I am also tired of catching blue gill. Which, it seems, are the only fish that I can catch. Or even get to bite, actually.

To date I have tried:
    hoppers, extended body dragons/damsels, conehead combos, dahlberg diver (both before and after dark), deerhair frog, clousers, and one sea ducer.

I've fished the "open water," in by the weeds, and in between. I only fish from the shore (them gators get pretty big down here).

I've tried my best to fish all the different depths I can. And I've tried my best to vary my stripping.

My roomate has me fishing hardware with him occassionaly, and it's starting to frustrate that I can catch bass with rubber worms and hardware but not on a fly.

He got fed-up with fly fishing 'cause all he could catch were bluegill, and now he only uses hardware. I really enjoy fly tying and fly fishing, so I don't want to give up on it, but I'm afraid I'm heading that way.

Can someone help me, PLEASE??

Mike,

Regardless of where you live, I think the most important thing about being successful with a fly rod for bass is to concentrate on "matching the bass plug" that the conventional gear users are catching fish with. You can imitate nearly anything they can throw. For example if they're hitting plastic worms, try a Hare Worm, Gulley Worm, Rag Worm or Gummy Eel. If they're hitting spinner baits, try adding a willow leaf blade attached with a hard strand of hard mono to a Clouser type pattern without the lead head or put an in-line spinner in front of a bunny leach. If they're hitting buzz baits, attach a small propellor in either the front or the rear of your favorite bass popper. Get the idea? It's as much fun for me to match the plug for bass as it is the match the hatch for trout. Some of my best fishing information as come from Bubba at the local bait shop. Stay with it. Success will come!

Welcome Mike

I am in Bradenton about 3 hours south of you but our own Flats Dude is very near you.
    If you will post this on the saltwater board or send him a personal e-mail i'll bet he can help you...

I am off to work right now but I am a bass fisherman with the fly rod, I will help you as soon as I can...
    WE will get you to catching Bass in no time. Practice casting at night.

Harold

Welcome to FAOL Mike. According to the flies you're using, sounds like you've got it covered pretty well. Except one fly I use extensively, the Accardo Spook. It's a small popping bug that I buy locally at Walmart. Bluegil and bass love 'em. They are small, but seem to draw the strikes. You may want to try a larger cork, popping bug (which they have there also). Since I fish primarily saltwater flats, I haven't too many freshwater flies in my box. (check your email)

Check out this thread from this forum:
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/001443.html:55cc8]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/001443.html[/url:55cc8]

And this one:
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/001449.html:55cc8]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/001449.html[/url:55cc8]

Please bear in mind that this is summer, the worst time to fish down here for me. Its hot and the fish have been unresponsive. Dock shade and down deep right now on the lakes for the most part. Please be patient. It will get better when the weather cools. Best of luck.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 24 June 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Try fishing poppers in the last two hours B4 dark and the first hour or so after dark along the edge of the weeds or pads. I think you'll be pleasently surprized. Oh - and practice catch and release on the gators!

donald

Thanks kindly for the warm welcome, the suggestions, and the encouragement. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

+ Reply to Thread