Every year I try and help Harvest water chestnuts from the Connecticut River valley. The Water Chestnut is an invasive aquatic plant which without its natural enemies, flourishes and spreads from its original site to other water bodies. A single seed produces up to 10 rosettes, each of which can produce 10 seeds, or a total of 100 seeds per plant. To make matters worse, mature seeds drop off the plant into the bottom sediments where they can remain viable for up to 12 years. This prolific plant can cover a small pond or cove in just a few years.

A heavy infestation of water chestnut grows in dense mats that cover the surface of a shallow pond or cove, severely impacting native aquatic plant diversity and, ultimately, the fisheries. The thick vegetation is also an impediment to boats ? it is difficult to paddle through, and gets caught up in propellers.

We are hoping you will be able to spend a pleasant day or two in a canoe to help keep the invasive aquatic plant water chestnut ?in retreat? in the Connecticut River watershed.(Canoes are provided, first time canoers are welcome).

If you want to be involved with a particular pond or in a specific town, please email or call Beth Goettel the Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge (beth_goettel@fws.gov; 413-863-0209 x 25)

Schedule:
Hockanum River, E. Hartford, CT ,Tuesday June 28
Vinton?s Mill Pond, S. Windsor, CT Thursday, June 30
Nashawannuck Pond Easthampton, MA, Friday July 8 and Saturday, July 9
Pond at the Big E., W. Springfield, MA, Monday, July 11
Hadley Pond (Lake Warner), Hadley, Ma, Saturday, July 16
Arcadia Sanctuary and mouth of the Mill River, Easthampton, MA, Saturday, July 23
Forge Pond, Granby, MA, Saturday, July 23
Vinton?s Mill Pond, S. Windsor, CT,Tuesday, July 19 & 26, Thursday, July 28

When I go, I always bring a rod and do some fishing after. Hope to see you there.

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 21 June 2005).]