+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Diversity Day" on Wissahickon Creek

Default "Diversity Day" on Wissahickon Creek

I rose with the sun and pedaled my mountain bike from Philadelphia up to Wissahickon Creek for a wonderful Saturday of coolwater action on the fly. Fished a nice long stretch of the creek during the morning: partly sunny, 70-degree temps, clear stream conditions, and the bite was on: several scrappy bronzers, fit and in a jumping mood, as well as rock bass, redbreast sunfish, green sunfish, and one plump holdover trout.

I caught all the fish on Muddler Minnow and Olive Woolly Bugger streamers. The bass were holding tight to midstream boulders, along drop offs, and a water-smoothed log that sloped from the bank into the depths of the creek. The fish were aggressive, but I had to place the fly EXACTLY were they were holding in order to coax them into striking. Needless to say, accurate casting was called for, and being human, I hit it wrong more than I hit it right. Great day, though!

Ron,
    I never fished in the Wissahickon, but have thought about it. Fairmont park was always a favorite of mine. I once took this girl rock climbing in the park. It was fun and she enjoyed it almost as much as I did. We've been married for over 27 years I still go to Germantown and Mt. Airey to visit friends. Every time I go by that area I think about taking my rod out. Glad to hear one can fish it successfully.

jed

Man, I used to live in East Falls. I mountain biked in Fairmount AT LEAST 3 days a week while I was livng there...What I great park! Diverse in activities availabe as well...hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, even kayaking when the storms come through.

+ Reply to Thread