I had a wonderful morning today, so I thought I'd share. Yesterday I taught my local 10 year old friend how to cast a fly line. He took to it like a fish to water and was casting 25-30'. He's a died-in-the-wool bait castin' country boy that wanted to learn how to catch more fish. Any way, he reminded me of the pleasures of Bass fishing so today I took my Kayak to a local pond and went bass fishing. Now for some of you, this might seem normal but I am primarily a trout kind a guy who likes to get into the salt when I can. So Bass fishing is not high on my list of favorite fishing types. Not that I don't like it but there sooo much good water around here its had to get to it all. Well, set out in my kayak early in the AM hoping to find a bass or two and if I was really lucky get a shot at one of the fish I saw when I went out rodless (which is a rare occurance). The day was slow until I put on a popper and then WOW, it took off. I caught a dozen nice bass in the 10-12 inch range. Nice fish and fun. I also caugh a couple that were cloe to 3 lbs which is a nice fish for here, and then had one that made these look small hit on the popper. It felt like an anchor grabbed my line. No sooner did it hit then it released the popper but it made my little old heart go pitter patter. It was a wonderful day.

On the way out, I met another kayak fisher. He was using a cople of spinning rods and soft plastic lures. Nice guy, very protective of the pond and a committed C&R fisherman. Reminded me not to let the whole world catch on to this place. He has caught 7 lb bass there and thinks there are larger ones to be had. I think that I'll be going back there again to see what I can find.

Great start to father's day, and I hope all you fathers had a nice one as well.

jed