Last weekend I didn't fare very well and only mananged one Smallmouth, a 10" dink at that. Needless to say I had to redeem myself.

Dad and I decided to take today off to make a nice long weekend with plan of fishing at least a couple of the days. We were quite shocked when we arrived at the water today to see that it was gin clear and was running at September levels, this was after it was high and muddy last weekend. This is quite strange for this time of year and we hardly ever get to fish the streams at all in May because of the high water so seeing this type of water shocked us to say the least.

The smallmouth spawn should be over for the most part so we figured they would be headed to their normal summer holding areas so we concentrated in those spots first. After a half an hour of flogging the water with no results we decided to try the sandy flats where we found fish last weekend....again nothing.

Then as we made our way back to where we started I noticed some small minnows scattering in no more that three inches of water. I threw a quick cast in that general direction and within a few quick(very quick) strip I had a fish on. The fish put up a nice fight and fell to my trusty rabbit strip crayfish.

A quick check with the tape measure and it proved that is was a nice 15 inch fish, not a bad way to start off the morning.

About 15 minutes later I seen something making some big waves not far upstream from where the first one was caught. I seen movement in that spot earlier, threw a few times with no result, but I decided to give it another shot. This spot in particular was a tough place to cast because there were several overhanging trees with the limbs only a few feet off the water. I got myself in position as I seen the waves again, threw in that area and something tried to rip the rod right out of my hand. After a nice battle I beached a beautiful 18" incher which matched my personal best.

After a few quick photos I got her in the moving water for a refresher before she bolted, hopefully to be caught another day.

Overall it wasn't a banner day as we put in alot of hours on the water and managed 18 fish between us. Other than those 15 minutes of two big fish in a row, the rest were dinks. It was a great day to be on the water, sure beats work and better yet I was getting paid to be there

[This message has been edited by cincy_fly_guy (edited 03 June 2005).]