+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carp question

deathb4disco,

Small world. Lonnie recently moved to the Ottawa office... and he didn't tell any of his secret fishing spots b4 he left.

When chumming here it was along shallow riprap or shallow flats. Once they are in the shallows because of the scent, they should be willing to take a su surface fly?

pharper,

I agree, that should work.

You should try fishing the Little River. The section we fished is stuffed with carp.

Cheap cat or dog food works in my pond, floats too.
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Thanks everybody for your answers, I have never used chum for any of my carp fishing, I htought as an unethical practice, but there are some really huge carp there and well you know how do we fishermen feel about big fish hehehe, but anyway I still feel a little dtruggle inside me to chum or not to chum that is the question, I don't know but I feel as if it would take away that hunting and stalking of the fish, but maybe just once wouldn't hurt......... well I'll let you know if I finally sucumbed to the temptation .

Tight lines

Xavier

Xavier,

If you can get the carp in your venue used eating corn, then you can use corn puffs cereal to bring them to the surface. I also recommend that you add some vanilla flavoring and some sweetner of some kind to the corn while it boils. They seem to get somewhat addicted to the sweetness of it and the corn puffs emit the same scent.

------------------
    G. W. "Buggs" Buggsworth

6. Default

When I first started carp fishing, I got frustrated and started chumming them with corn in the shallows. I still don't feel guilty one bit about any of those fish I caught.

I don't do it any longer 'cause I figured out the bread tossers for the local duck population take care of that detail for me. Either way you add it, it's the same thing though.

If you feel it's unethical, then start justifying. Shoot after a couple of carp in the double digits and enough time to fabricate excuses your bruised morality will come through just fine. You shouldn't even be fishing for such a lowly creature as a carp to begin with. The act alone justifies any method .

Don't be fooled into thinking just 'cause you got 'em on the chum, it's a gimme. They're still a hard fish to catch.

Cheap dog food is wonderful floating chum. I have to use corn as floating chum lasts a couple of seconds in my parts... Way too many ducks, geese and coot in the parks around here.

If really well conditioned to human intervention, then you can scratch the hard fish to catch part above. Watching the tourists feed the carp at any of Lake Mead's marenas is a scary experience.

Later,
    Jambalaya

I'll add one to the mix - one of the foods we feed our koi (fancy carp) was recommended to me by a koi expert. It is Cherrios - he said it is 'perfect' food for them. They can and do smell it with seconds of it hitting the water and it floats really well. They swim along the surface like a vacumn cleaner, mouth open, just sucking it in. Looking for perfect chum?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Jambalaya, I don't think of carp as low creatures, in fact I rather fish for carp than for trout, I think they are magnificent fish and boy they fight hard!!!! and yes they are difficult to catch on flies sometimes.

Thanks everybody for the answers, I'll be visiting that place next weekend, and I think I'll try to locate the food lanes and will try to catch them with out chumming, lets see what happends hehehe and well if that doesn't work I'll try with chum, I really want one of those really big carp, once I saw one that some local fisherman caught on a net weighting 31.5 kg!!!! It was a beautiful linear mirror carp.

Best regards, big smiles and tight lines!!

Xavier

I just latched onto one yesterday in the backyard pond. My first out there. I guess buggers, Madam X's and poppers don't tempt them much. It went for a P.T. nymph slowly, and I mean SLOWLY twist stripped back to me.
    I'm hooked and ready for more!

10. Default

Hmmm,

I was poking fun at the general attitude towards carp where I'm from. Thus the smiley face to let you know I was foolin' around.

I don't post often, but when I do about carp, I think the fondness and respect I give to these guys is more than evident.

Later,
    Jambalaya

+ Reply to Thread