Thank you, LadyFisher, for giving the plug to the programs I am trying to get started or restarted.

With the fly tying classes for the "Wounded Warriors" at Walter Reed Army and Bethesda Naval hospitals, I am just carrying on a program that the late Bill Blades conducted at Great Lakes Naval Hospital during World War II.

Ed Nicholson, a retired Navy Captain and an FFF and TU member in the National Capitol Chapter of TU, is the one who is starting the fly fishing program for the "Wounded Warriors." I merely arranged for him to use the fishing ponds at the Soldiers' Home for the on-water casting practice and a chance to catch bluegills, crapppies and bass.

The "I PASS" program was conceived by John Judy of Camp Sherman, Oregon, a guide on the Metolius and Deschutes rivers. I am just trying to get the Federation of Fly Fishers to adopt I PASS and Project Access as FFF programs. That will encourage FFF clubs around the country to start the programs on their home waters.

Since many of the "Wounded Warriors," both guys and gals, from Irag and Afghanistan are in military and Veteran Administration hospitals around the country, there is an opportunity for fly fishers and fly fishing clubs to help the warriors in their recovery. Fly tying will help the ones with arm and hand injuries to regain fine motor skills, and fly casting and fishing will also help, especially those who lost arms and legs in battle.

Be sure to check with the hospital staff before you start any programs for the wounded warriors.

Regardless of your opinion about the conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq, you can help the young men and women who were wounded learn fly fishing and fly tying, hobbies we all enjoy and they can enjoy for the rest of their lives.

John Colburn
The Soldiers' Home
Washington, DC