+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hi

Default hi

Hello to all. A "teacher" on the job, I have been learning about fly fishing this past year. Have especially enjoyed going for largemouth and smallmouth bass in season with streamers. Have an old 7 wt. Shakespeare wonderrod that Dad gave me in l963...with a 10 ft. sink tip line, it works real good for bass. I fish a large reservoir where there are trout as well as bass. Have especially enjoyed and learned from the discussions of overlining; the "physics" involved is very interesting and believe it or not I think the discussions have helped me understand how to "load" the rod better.

Want to try for some walleyes at the Walleye lake, maybe at night, and there is a small river with bass and pickerel I want to try.

I am working on my roll cast as I often have to stand with bushes and trees in back of me.

Will also make postings on the other board. One reservoir I fish begins as warm water and ends as cold water! A nice combination!

Best to everyone, "learner"

------------------

Learner...I've read both your posts,and I can say with good confidance that a floating line added to your arsinal would serve you well.I fish Bass and trout as well as alot of other speices,and most....not all ..but most of the time a floater is all you need.Hangon to the sink tip line..always good to have things when the need arises,also a weight forward floater will help greatly in roll casting.you might get a less tiring more and enjoyable trout and panfish experience with a lighter rod say 5wt...just a few thoughts.

Suckers will take flies too...pretty much all fish will take a fly of the right design for the inheirant traits of that fish..if those trout that may not have been...were indeed suckers...try small Nymphs on em..They to,can be alot of fun!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Learner,
    Welcome! Jump right in..great folks here. Bill is right, add a good wt forward floating line.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Learner,

Welcome to the sport and we look forward to hearing of your successes. I would also recommend that, as soon as you can, to upgrade to a 9 foot rod, probably a 6 wt. It will really help your presentation and distance and in many lake situations, will improve your ability to catch fish. I'd rig it with good quality forward weight floating line and keep the old Wonderrod rigged with the sink tip line and take both of them with you to the lake to increase your ability to adapt quickly on the water when conditions call for it.

"often standing with bushes and trees behind you" ,and other such things are why I did not suggest a long rod,I've done quite well on Rivers and lakes with a 7'6" 3wt for bass and panfish alike, Long rods have their applications,and you may/will want one or five....for the beginer Flyfisher a rod that is comfortable to cast for a full days fishing is whats most important,This is the time of "practice".....and getting the feel for working the line hand and many different things that are solely found in this sport "short & Simple" I feel is a good way to start out especially in tight quarters Flyfishing...Keep in mind these are only "MY" opinions and that you should do as you want for the fishing you are going to mostly...adding rods or whatever the case maybe is all part of Familarizing ones self with the conditions one knows one is going to face whenone knows where ones going to be plying their craft....lol...you get the idea....lol..above all...enjoy your time on the water and all else will come in short order.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Thanks to all for the good ideas. I do have
    a 4wt. that I did not have with me that day.
    It is much easier to fish. I do think I scared the fish with the splash of the sink tip line.

Hope you are having a good week fishing.

+ Reply to Thread