+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Fun

1. Default Fishing Fun

I've not managed to fish much lately. Life just plain has me too busy... but somehow I managed to get to the local park 30 minutes before closing the other day.

I grew quite excited as I slowly approached my favorite flats as several big carp were mudding. My favorite scenario...

I spooked a couple at first. Then settled in and picked out and stalked a nice fat fish that was happilly feeding. It was easily bigger than any carp I've hooked or landed to date. I only had 10 minutes left and I needed time to land him. A couple of false casts and I laid it out perfectly into my target zone. The fly quickly reached the shallow bottom as the fish approached and gave the fly an ever so slight twitch. I see the carp turn and ...

Tap... Tap... Fish on... man did my heart explode... then to my suprise, I landed the 1/2 lb bass that must've darted in front of the carp to get the fly. To be truthful I was a bit unhappy with my largemouth friend at first, but as I drove home, I couldn't help but appreciate the experience of landing that little guy. Big or little, with only 30 minutes I'm happy to have caught a fish at all...

Just thought I'd share that with you guys,

Jambalaya

What flies do you use for carp? I'm going to try to catch a few carp "on purpose" this year. [I've caught a few carp on the flyrod but always when I'm fishing for something else and they bust the party.] I would be interested in both pattern and size if you're willing to share.

Donald

Beadleech,

I basically use the same type of nymphs I sometimes use for trout. My personal favorites are prince nymphs, poxyback stones, and a chain head olive fuzzy thing I tie using chienelle and marabou. Sizes vary from #12 through #8. Just some patterns I've had success with.

Tks Poke!! I've found a lake about 20 miles away that I'm told has "a lot of carp in it". Pull-offs all around the perimeter so I can launch my Hobie just about everywhere! Wonder if it'll be like a "Nantucket" sleigh ride if I hook one?

Donald

5. Default

beadleach,

I recently posted a pic of a fly I made that I sometimes use... I also use the Yellow CCC that is in the fly of the week archives here. Most trout flies work. Presentation is more important. Lotsa good info has been posted in recent months here, so do some looking. There's nothing that I can tell you that hasn't been discussed in some detail... I think one thread called "carp frustrations" had alot of good info in it.

Sorry it took awhile to answer, but I picked up a second job, and I've not had any spare time for luxuries like browsing the internet.

In fact, I gotta get some sleep.

Hope that helped,
    Jambalaya

+ Reply to Thread