+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nymphs: To bead or not to bead? That is the question.

Default Nymphs: To bead or not to bead? That is the question.

Hi Gang,

I'm curious to see who does, who doesn't, and who does both. The reasoning behind the answer would also be appreciated. I know that some folks like to use beads for a little deeper water and use standard nymphs for more shallow water. Thanks.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

dixie

I'm one that does both. Normally the larger sizes I use a bead head. An example would be Rick Z's Peacock Sword Nymph in size 8. I also tend to use them if the original recipe calls for a bead head. And don't if it doesn't. I do however tie a GRHE with and without.

Just my $.02
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I use beadheads on 100% of my flies. I like glass ones because they are inexpensive, and i also use brass.Cant afford tungsten lol. I find that it makes the fly alot more effective with a beadhead and they have changed the way that i tie flies.

I have a bunch of bead heads. Strangely though I can never seem to get mself to pull one out of the box and tie it on. Do you know that feeling?

I usually crip a split shot on when I want to get down. I always tend to think the bead will turn the fish off - despite standing next to guys raking in fish left and right with big shining beads topping off the hook. I'm wierd that way.

I saw an interesting use of beads on Fly Fish TV the other day. Scott Sanchez was tying his Cased Caddis and he up a black brass bead at the head with an olive glass bead behind it. After he tied in the abdomen, he tied a soft hackle between the beads. Very nice!

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:2894e]Warmwater Angler[/url:2894e]

I guess my reply above didn't really answer your question, Robert.

Yes, I use beads. Metal for weight and glass for glimmer. With glass beads, I like the ones that are lined with silver. Really gives a midge/chironomid a nice gas bubble at the head.

As far as metal beads, I am leaning more and more to dark colors. Sometimes, I think the bright brass or copper beads are a bit much, especially in clear water.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:33c7e]Warmwater Angler[/url:33c7e]

Gary

I saw the same show on Fly Fish TV. Interesting what Scott does. I tend to use dark beads on most of my warm water flys. The only time I use gold are when I tie up some Jitter Bees.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I tie flies with and without beads. I use diffrent sizes and colors of beads when I am tying patterns.

I have PTN with black, gold, silver and copper beads in the same size. On larger flies some of the have larger beads.

Also use alot of glass beads in different colors on flies.

I always have some flies with no weight.

Rick

Thanks for all the great responses and look forward to seeing more.

I use both beaded and unbeaded. Different material beads, different size beads, and different colored beads. The main reason I do both is for shallow or deeper water so I can get different sink rates (although the beads give me a jig action and maybe some added flash). I saw an interesting nymph pattern while doing a search that's new to me even though I think its probably been around a while. Its called a BLM (beaded little mayfly) nymph and uses a bead for the thorax but I think this method could be applied to other nymphs also. I normally use beads as a bead-head or bead-body so like Gary seeing the innovative two-bead method, this bead-thorax method was new to me (maybe I'm just behind everybody else). I haven't fished it enough yet to give a report. Maybe someone else has.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 27 April 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Hmmm, a two bead pattern is a new and interesting idea to me. Dark and heavy for depth, clear and shiney for the flash. I like that idea. I know alot of people don't know how many bugs push an air bubble around under the water for, either, breathing, or assistance in emerging. I tie most of my nymphs with beads but always have a few without for various water conditions.

------------------
    Remember to take a kid fishing.

+ Reply to Thread