After years of pursuing the wiley trout, salmon and steelhead I took the plunge (not literally) and went warm water fishing. I was thinking Crappie or Gills, those tasty...er, uh, fine fighting fish of the lakes around here.

Using one of Jim Hatch's Dremel bugs witih a GRHE dropper, I worked the edge of the lilly pads from my newly purchased pontoon boat and got nothing, not a bump, bite or nibble.

After casting several more times I decided to take a break and have a smoke sitting in my boat. Enjoying the warm weather, the birds flying about, sipping on an ice cold Starbucks Frappucinno (hey, I live in Washington) I glanced between my feet into the crystal clear water and there was old bucketmouth staring up at me. Not just one was cruising in my shadow, but there were several of those critters using me as cover.

I also noticed that in the evening they were cruising the shallows, leaving little ripples in the water with their backs.

I musta been holding my mouth wrong or something, but I didn't catch anything under 20 inches, or anything larger either.

Next time, fellas, next time.

REE