+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using the Stream themometer in warm water

Default Using the Stream themometer in warm water

Ok, I'm new to the WWF, I admit it.

But us trout fishers use the stream themometer as a major tool in deciding how and where to fish. Surely the tool has its uses in the warm stuff.

I am, in particular, thinking about those river smallies -- 'cause I'm going after them this season. Are there key temperature milestones that tell you it's time to get out there?

Or maybe it's all bigger water and therefore basically a time of season deal?

BFB,

A temperature gauge can be a big help in warm water, especially in the early season.

Generally, you want to find the warmest water available. If you are fishing a pond or lake, that's generally the NorthWest areas. Rivers and streams tend to be pretty homogenous with respect to temperature, but there can be areas where inflows change the temperatures.

For smallies, they begin to get more active when water temps hit the high 40s, and they will begin to think about spawning in the 55-65 degree range. This can and does vary quite a bit based on how far north you are.

Largemouths like warmer temps, so look for them to get active in the 50s, and start the spawning search in the high 60s.

Until the temps get into the 'ideal' ranges or above, the real key is finding the warmer areas, since the fish in those areas will be more active, all else being equal, than those in the cooler areas.

I use an electronic gauge, it's hooked into the sonar unit, so that I can see the surface temperature at a glance.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:c3718]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:c3718]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

BFB,
    Welcome to the world of WW flyfishing. You're going to love it. Early Spring is the main time I keep an eye on my thermometer. I keep one with me at all times. When fishing from my boat, it's built in to the fish finder and I watch it constantly when moving around the lake. When wading or tubing, I have a stream thermometer with me. My friend and I fished a bass tournament 2 weekends ago and we were not doing well until we found a creek arm with the water temp about 5 degrees warmer than any other water we had previously found. Once we realized how much warmer that spot was, we stayed there the rest of the day and weighed in a nice limit of fish. Generally the North coves will be the warmest in Spring because of the slant of the winter sun toward the North and because the North bank is protected more from the North wind. Once Summer sets in a surface thermometer is not as important as it is in the Spring. I also watch my thermometer in the Fall to some extent. In the Fall, I'm looking for the first water to cool. It could be in a certain part of the lake or a different lake could cool faster than another because of a rain that causes the feeder creeks or rivers to rise.
    In short, keep an eye on that thermometer. It can tip you off on where the fish will be the most active.

Don't forget the thermometer in the dog days of summer. When the water is uncomfortably warm, a spring entering the river will create a cool spot that will attract smallies.

+ Reply to Thread