+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help me, please, you warmwater pirates...

I have had some pretty good day's on the water with a wieghted or un-wieghted bunny leech in purple or chartruese!Quick tie with angora dubbed body and the zonker lashed down matuka style with copper wire on Your choice of hook
    G

thanks for the input, guys. i went out with a bunch of hair wings and marabou style streamers...but, alas, i forgot my float tube (uhh...actually, i dont have one ). so i didnt get any bass. very little shore casting available at this pond.

however, i had my little 3 wt in the truck, and after tying on a bright, shiny nymph, i caught blue gill after blue gill. at least 2 dozen 'gills in the 2 hours i was there...and this was from one spot. every cast for awhile, than theyd slow down, so id change nymphs, and WHAM!! every cast til they got sick of that one. 4 nymphs (copper john style ties) caught 2 dozen gills. that had to be the most fun ive had on still water, ever.

next time, i rent a float tube and go for the bass...

I?m glad you had fun. Often when I am coaching a newbie I recommend a 'gill pond because the learning curve really accelerates when you are catching. You received good advice on flies (and caught fish) but I saw no mention of presentation. IMHO the colour of the lure for those species is less important than movement. Since you are used to fishing for trout in streams I suggest that you pay good attention to manipulating the fly in ponds so that it does the 3 T's (tremble, tingle and twitch). I believe that if the fly (bug or streamer) can be made to dance and quiver you can CALL the bass to the fly. Good Luck.

Oh, how to start on warm water fish. First of all gills will hit anything that is the right size (think #14 to # and color (almost any color, red, yellow, black, white, green)and moves. Impart some action to make it look like a fleeing insect, bait fish or worm. Finally, make a noise when you present the fly in the water (falling food announces it's arrival)

Bass on the other hand like all the same things gills do but they like it bigger flashier, louder and faster. When you are the top predator you have the chose of food. You can pick and choose what you want for dinner. So for bass you need top water, just below the surface and deep flies.

This is why we have poppers (top water) Streamers (just below the surface) and Clousers (Deep Water).

Enjoy

+ Reply to Thread