+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unknown Critters

Default Unknown Critters

There is some type of parisite on some of the fish in my pond. They don't really look like leeches. They are clear and seem to have a segmented body. They actually remind me of sow bugs. Does anyone know what they could be?

Swamp

Swamp, Could they be scuds (fresh water shrimp)?

Are they attached to the fish or crawling on the surface?

Blog Entries

try Googling for "fish lice" That is a possibility.

Also, where are you fishing (geographical locale as well as salt or fresh water)

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:edc2d]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:edc2d]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Hey, Y'all.
    The critters are attached. I'm fishing in a fresh water pond in SE Georgia. I've noticed the things on bass and brim. Robin, I'll deffinately try the google search.

Swamp

swamp - I'd almost bet you would find them to be a parasite called a yellow grub. The DNR folks claim them to be harmless to folks eating the fish (but I don't know about that!) - You should be able to do a google search and get more info on them.

The yellow grub is a fluke that cycles between birds and fish. It does not infect us but when you fillet a fish and find them in the muscle it can be unnerving. They can be found out on the fins as well. Fish lice and copepods are crustaceans that attach to the fish surface. Like the yellow grub they do not cause us any harm. I would suggest adding "ectoparasites of fish" to your google search. If you have a digital camera send me some pictures and I'll try to get them identified for you.

Don
    (daileyd@apsu.edu)

Thanks for the input. I did a google search on gish lice, and I think that they get my vote. What I've seen is a oval creature, attached to the fish by a point. You can move the little things on the fish, but that one point stays attached. I've cleaned fish with yellow grubs before, as well as some kind of red worm in the flesh before. I don't really worry about them. I just cut them out and cook the fish thoroughly. I'll try and get a pic, but my camera is old and doesn't catch small detail too well.
    Thanks for all the info,
    Swamp

+ Reply to Thread