+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have been converted

Default I have been converted

I am new to the board, but I really enjoy what I have read so far. Its a great resource and I am all about learning.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of fishing with OkieBass and begining what looks to become a carp fishing addiction. Unfortunately, the extreme wind forced us to use pretty heavy rods, but these fish still put up a great fight.

Blake,
    Welcome here. You've got a good mentor. He knows what he's doing. Did you guys catch anything? Did you see anything? How are the carp acting? You're right about one thing, it is an addiction.

Blog Entries

Blake,
    Welcome aboard. You have definitely found a good fishing partner. I have had the pleasure of fishing with Okie a few times but not yet for carp.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Yeah, we got four in about an hour and a half. The carp were really high in the water column and taking seeds off the surface. I used a small brown nymph, and Okie used several different things. Neither of us had anything to imitate the seeds they were eating though. I am just not accustomed to imitating plant matter.
    We had a pretty good time on water that neither of us had ever fished pretty close to where we live. So I am hoping this becomes a regular thing.

Blake, I would also say welcome and congrats on finding such a good partner. Okie got me started on carp flyfishing and I've learned a lot from him. Matching the veggies is difficult. I haven't had a lot of success with that either. It's much easier when they are in their "meat eating" mood and are tailing for nymphs and other grubby looking critters. Keep us posted on your success. It's good to have another carper on board.

Blake or Okie,
    What were the seeds they were feeding on? What will you use to try to match those seeds in the future? Any ideas? Let me know. I may need to tie something up in preparation in case I run across the same situation. Thanks.
    Robert

Blake & Okie,

Also were you fishing somewhere near Stillwater? I was raised there and know the surrounding area pretty well. The only time I've experienced carp hitting seeds on top was when they were sucking up cottonwood seeds. I had a pretty good pattern tied up but had a difficult time getting them to choose my fly because there were thousands of the real thing floating on the water. It was just a matter of trying to put the fly where you thought they might be swimming to and trying to predict flight patterns of crusing carp is guess work at best.

Robert,
    The fish were taking elm seeds. Don't have any tied up yet, I'm still on the lookout for materials.
    Poke,
    We were fishing below the Blackwell spillway.

Okie,
    Someone posted an elm seed pattern on the WW board here not too long ago.Thin closed cell foam colored with a magic marker I think.

+ Reply to Thread