+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll. Name your favorite flyrod fish and make a case for

Default A poll. Name your favorite flyrod fish and make a case for

I know we've probably done this before but we've got a lot of new folks that have joined us and I'd like to see what they like to fish for and why. Just humor me please. I'm suffering from the March willys.

Robert,
    I would have to say that smallmouth bass is probably my favorite fish. I've always had a thing for running water, and while I enjoy fishing for trout, I've also always had a thing for staying warm, which isn't always easy to do while standing in a trout stream. With the smallmouth, I get to wade in a stream that usually looks just like trout habitat, but I can do so in shorts and stay comfortable. Besides, as you know, Oklahoma offers much better venues for smallmouth fishing than it does for trout, at least in the area where I live.
    Larry Compton

My favorite has to be bluegills. I love to fish for them with poppers and dry flies using a 3-wt rod. I guess they are my favorite because I grew up fly fishing for them as there were no trout streams where I lived. But there were plenty of lakes with big bluegills and I had a blast learning techniques to catch them from spring through fall.

And, they are about the best tasting fish there is and I love to eat them

Rio Grande Cichlid, on light tackle. These guys are bulldozers.
    [url=http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/sutton_keith/1395687.html:6c0c9]ESPN Article[/url:6c0c9]

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 10 March 2005).]

Blog Entries

I have to say the sunfishes, [url=http://www.fishbase.org/Nomenclature/NominalSpeciesList.cfm?family=Centrarchidae:d7f92]Family Centrarchidae[/url:d7f92]

They are the most common hereabouts and I have yet to tie into a [url=http://www.trashonthefly.com/:d7f92]carp[/url:d7f92] and trout are too far away to be more than an occasional pursuit for me....soooo Centrarchidae all the way!

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:d7f92]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:d7f92]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

big bluegill so far but i am going after carp in earnet this spring.

Robert, I'm a little jaded right now..just got through landing a dozen or more 2 to 4 pound rainbows. I'll answer later when the adrenaline dies down.

Mike B

I have to pick trout, several types as I fish where they are mixed. The one largemouth bass I caught several years ago, 6 inches, was a fighter for its size. The other fish I try for but seldom succeed at is the Montana grayling, their soft mouths usually mess with me quite well, just can't quite get that SOFT touch to hooking them.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Blog Entries

I have to agree with Canoeman on this one. I will take smallmouth over any other fish that swims in fresh water.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Yellowfin Tuna. Fantastic strike, blistering runs, fantastic battle. 15 to 30 lbers - not so big as to work you over. Great raw or grilled.

On inland waters - the bluegill. I love the sound of a 'gill slurping an little popping bug.

+ Reply to Thread