+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring Bass

Default Spring Bass

I got out early on Saturday, was on the water at 5:30. There was no surface activity so I went to the northeast corner where the water is supposed to warmer. I was using a white ( too simple ) streamer with a small nymph as a dropper. I caught two very small bluegill and a 12 in bass, all on the dropper. I fished a little longer and then went to the shallow part of the lake. There was a little activity on the surface and I thought it was blue gill. I put on a yellow foam spider and would cast to the activity. In the next hour I caught 10 10-12 inch bass and a large bluegill. The bass would take the spider almost immediately. I thought the bluegill would be spawning first but the bass were lots more active. The only thing I like better than learning how the fishing goes in my area is how I am learning it.

Cardinal,
    As a general rule, blue gills will spawn after bass. there may be parts of a body of water in which both species are spawning at the same time, but usually bass have done the deed before the blue gills have started.

Tight lines
    Jeff

Cardinal,
    Jeff's right...here in Ohio, the bass can be expected to spawn in early May & the gills in early June, usually in conjunction with the full moon. I have always been a C&R guy on bass & MOST gills, & I personally either fish streams or not at all in early thru mid May to try to "lay-off" spawning bass. Personally, I think keeping bass during the spawning period should be prohibited.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks for the correction, I thought Bluegill spawned first. The ponds I fish are Catch and release only and artificial bait only. They are heavily fished all the time so it is remarkable to me when I occasionly figure out what they are biting on.

+ Reply to Thread