+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Trip of Spring

Default First Trip of Spring

Took the kayak out to my favorite lake and had a blast. Caught a mix of bluegills, pumpkinseeds, 2 bass, and about a dozen or so crappie. Used various nymphs, wet hackles, and crappie clousers. I fished my Forecast glass rod with a wf6f line and it worked awesome for the short casts. I also fished a Forecast 7.5ft 4pc. 4wt and both rods threw the 6wt line with aplomb to about 50 ft. Big fish of the day was 12" lm bass and a few of the bluegills were in the 9-10" range.

All in all a great day on the water.

Lou

Lou

Those are some nice 'gills. Ain't it great to be back on the water and not freezin' your tush off!?!?!?

Vic

By tomorrow my canoe will be "cured" from a new coat of poly and I'll be good to go. Had to patch a hole I popped into the side getting myself sideways against a rock in a rapids. Did get out for some spin fishing for catfish Sat night and Sunday. Great fish fry on a remote island in the middle of the Minnesota River. Woke up with a wild turkey rooster just outside the tents gobbling away, then went out just after dawn to do some fishing. Across the way two weasles were doing some foreplay. Highlight, though, was having a wood duck couple alight above us in the canopy just seconds before three large hawks swept over them. One of those true nature moments. Great weekend. But this week was iceout, so with my canoe ready and my flies tied, it'll be crappie time by Wednesday or so. I'm charged. JGW

+ Reply to Thread